How can a district/stake reallocate branch/ward budget?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rchomskis

How can a district/stake reallocate branch/ward budget?

Post by rchomskis »

Our district paid for some printing job from a district budget. Now the district wants to be reimbursed for this expense by charging it's branches' budgets. How is this usually done? Through some LCR or MLS function? I serve as a district clerk and can't seem to figure out how to do this, or is this something only district president has appropriate rights to do and access on LCR/MLS?
drepouille

Re: How can a district/stake reallocate branch/ward budget?

Post by drepouille »

You can ask each unit to transfer funds from a budget category to the district, just as we transfer funds from our Other:AMFA subcategory for YW Camp to the stake/district. I believe such transfers may only be done in MLS, until that function is moved to LCR at some point.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

There is no way for a district or stake to directly take back budget. The only thing a stake can do is adjust the percentage of the budget allocation that goes to the ward. I assume a district can do that too. But that is a very awkward way to get reimbursement for an expense because it would require estimating their next quarterly budget allocation, determining what percentage would retain the correct amount and then switch the percentages back after the allocation comes through.

The normal way to do this is for the branch to send payment to the district. They can do that making a transfer to the district (the easy way) or cutting a check and sending it to the district.
rchomskis

Post by rchomskis »

eblood66 wrote:There is no way for a district or stake to directly take back budget. The only thing a stake can do is adjust the percentage of the budget allocation that goes to the ward. I assume a district can do that too. But that is a very awkward way to get reimbursement for an expense because it would require estimating their next quarterly budget allocation, determining what percentage would retain the correct amount and then switch the percentages back after the allocation comes through.

The normal way to do this is for the branch to send payment to the district. They can do that making a transfer to the district (the easy way) or cutting a check and sending it to the district.
Thank you! So I should contact finance clerks from each of our branches and ask them to use MLS's unit-to-unit transfers function to transfer part of their budgets to our district budget, right?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

That's correct. However, they may not be able to see all of your budget categories, especially sub-subcategories. So if they can't transfer to the category you want, they will need to transfer to one of the categories they can see and then you'll have to do a local transfer between categories to get everything in place.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Just as with transfers from Other:AMFA, budget categories are not visible to the sender, so funds are transferred to the top-level budget category, and the stake/district clerk must then transfer incoming funds into the appropriate budget category. I saw that problem first hand after I was released as stake clerk, and my replacement did not transfer incoming YW Camp funds from the top-level Other:AMFA to the appropriate YW Camp subcategory, which quickly went negative when the stake spent the funds.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
rchomskis

Post by rchomskis »

I am trying to get to know this MLS function. Say I am a branch clerk and I want to transfer €30,00 to district's budget. Am I inputting the right info? Not sure if I need to indicate the transferred amount only on the right side, or should I also indicate same amount on the right side?
AAAuditor

Post by AAAuditor »

The left side is where the money is coming from. The right side is where the money is going. The amounts should be the same for a single transfer.
rchomskis

Post by rchomskis »

AAAuditor wrote:The left side is where the money is coming from. The right side is where the money is going. The amounts should be the same for a single transfer.
thank you for the clarification!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”