Missionary Account Move Out w/ balance left

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brown67

Missionary Account Move Out w/ balance left

Post by brown67 »

We had a family move to another ward with a missionary serving. We got his account moved to his family's new ward, but I still I a small balance left in the account. How do I move that to the new ward?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Missionary Account Move Out w/ balance left

Post by russellhltn »

When you say "a small balance", I'm guessing it's far short of a month's payment. I think the first think I'd do is look back over the transactions and make sure a "Ward Missionary" donation wasn't made to that account rather than the general "Ward Missionary". Because the easiest thing by far would be to transfer/reclassify it to just "Ward".

I know when responsibility is transferred, CHQ can set the effective date, but I'm not sure as they can adjust to "zero" out the account.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

brown67 wrote:How do I move that to the new ward?
If the new ward is in your stake, you can transfer it through MLS. Otherwise, you will need to write a check to the new ward and mail or deliver it to them.

The only thing Church headquarters does is determine which ward will get to make the monthly equalized payment. They do not transfer other amounts.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:They do not transfer other amounts.
To be clear, they do not make transfers on request or transfers for arbitrary amounts. However, when arranging for the transfer of responsibility an effective date can be set. If the effective date is in the past then CHQ will withdraw the appropriate number of payments since that date from the new unit and deposit that same number of payments to the old unit so that amounts charged to each unit are what they would have been if the change had been made at that point in the past.

But it's too late for that in this case, even if the amount is a multiple of the the monthly payment. So as lajackson says, you can either transfer within the stake or mail a check to the new ward.
brown67

Post by brown67 »

It's $15 and the new ward isn't in our Stake. I'm wondering if I can just write a check to the new ward, and let them put it into his account in his new ward? If I write a check is the money drawn from the individual missionary account or the Ward missionary fund?
Last edited by brown67 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Good question. Generally, the ward would never write a check against the Ward Missionary account. You can try it and see what it allows you to do.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

brown67 wrote:It's $15 and the new ward isn't in our Stake. I'm wondering if I can just write a check to the new ward, and let them put it into his account in his new ward? If I write a check is the money drawn from the individual missionary account or the Ward missionary fund?
I do not remember if MLS will let you write the check from the sub-account, but if so, do it. If not, use the ward missionary fund, then transfer the $15 from the sub-account to the main ward account.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”