Splitting a donation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ramyer1

Splitting a donation

Post by ramyer1 »

We inadvertently credited two donations to one person. Now we need to credit the donations, and their respective amounts, to the right people. In this case, we credited the total donation to one person, when in fact part was for that member, and part was for another member. Help please.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Splitting a donation

Post by rmrichesjr »

Just for clarity, this is a user-to-user forum, not an official support channel. Someone might reply with useful suggestions, but there is no guarantee that will happen. It sounds like you're in need of assistance sooner rather than later. If you're a ward (finance) clerk, one suggestion would be to call the stake (finance) clerk. IIUC, part of the duties of a stake (something) clerk is to train and assist the corresponding clerks in the wards/branches in the stake. You might also find something useful in the Help Center:

https://www.lds.org/help/support?lang=eng

If all else fails, I think it would be time for a call to the clerk support line in the usual training materials.

(PS: Thank you for asking. I now have the Help Center URL bookmarked for my future reference.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:If all else fails, I think it would be time for a call to the clerk support line in the usual training materials.
Which isn't going to be open until Tuesday, since Monday is a US holiday. (I'm assuming you're in North America.)

I'd think there's a way to edit the batch. As long as you're not changing the batch total, I wouldn't think it would be very difficult. Just a matter of pulling up the donation and finding the edit link.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I'd think there's a way to edit the batch. As long as you're not changing the batch total, I wouldn't think it would be very difficult. Just a matter of pulling up the donation and finding the edit link.
Unfortunately, last time I tried to do that I believe it either didn't let me add a new slip to the donation (to add a new donor) or it wouldn't let me save the change after adding a new slip. I don't remember which exactly but I couldn't do it. And it doesn't look like the new LCR functionality for editing donations supports that either.

I think it will require a call to support.
rgme

Post by rgme »

I had a similar issue recently. @eblood66, you're correct, LCR requires the edits within each donation to zero out (like correcting fast offering that was incorrectly put under tithing for an individual slip). I talked to the clerk support line, and received instructions to create a new batch with the correct amount for the "new" donor/donation, and then report back the batch ID's so they can reduce the original batch that attributed too much to the first donor. However, please call the support line because they will work with you on managing the batches. FYI, it was escalated from the first support tier due to complexity.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rgme's post is has the same instructions I recieved. When I ran into this problem I contacted the finance department by email through MLS messaging. Their instructions started "just follow church policy and ..." I never was able to find this church policy in any documents I had access to in MLS, in LCR, or in the Help Center. However the instructions they gave in that email message were as rgme posted. It took about two weeks to get the correction to appear.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”