Tithing Donor statement contributions

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
steele7

Tithing Donor statement contributions

Post by steele7 »

Hello - can someone tell me if member donor statements are required to be sent to each member via mail come January?

Thanks.
eblood66

Re: Tithing Donor statement contributions

Post by eblood66 »

Based on the LCR instructions in the Help Center we only need to send the statements that are included in the pre-generated document provided by CHQ. This document will not include those who have indicated they will print their own via lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Based on the LCR instructions in the Help Center we only need to send the statements that are included in the pre-generated document provided by CHQ. This document will not include those who have indicated they will print their own via lds.org.
I don't see any requirement to mail them if they don't stop by and pick them up. I know a number of wards to, but I'm not sure as that's a requirement. If it was, I'm sure the Church would have made that very clear.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I don't see any requirement to mail them if they don't stop by and pick them up. I know a number of wards to, but I'm not sure as that's a requirement. If it was, I'm sure the Church would have made that very clear.
I was addressing the 'all' members part of the question. I agree that there is no requirement to mail statements. However, the Help Center does say they need to be distributed. Personally that implies to me something a bit more active than just making them available for people to pick up. For me mailing them is easier than trying to hand them out at church and we have sufficient budget to handle that. Others may interpret it differently. But there are tax and legal implications so I would recommend making a reasonable effort to get the statements to each donor in some way or the other to avoid problems for the donor and the church.
steele7

Post by steele7 »

Thank you. Appreciate the responses.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

At least one week before tithing settlement begins, clerks should print and distribute the Donor Statements of Contributions. This statement is not a tax valid statement. The Annual Charitable Cash Contributions Official Tax Summary Statement is sent before January 31st to the ward through LCR or MLS, as appropriate, for those members who have not designated they will print their own statement. This tax valid statement is to be made accessible to a donor in time for filing personal tax returns. There is no requirement to mail the statement or even actively distribute the statement. In the U.S. the IRS has placed the burden on the donor to obtain a donor statement from the charitable organization.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
arvanitas

Post by arvanitas »

For printing Donor Statements, would it be possible for someone to create a script to insert a cover page for the entire family before the individual contribution lists?
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

I just ran across something while I was on the 'online donations' page. Under the 'settings' option is the following 'choice', with a 'check box' to select it. I hadn't seen this before and was wondering how I know, as Financial Clerk, that a member has checked the box.
Not knowing of that option, I passed around in P. M today, a form I made up which members could sign, letting me know that they would print their Tax Statements themselves, allowing us the opportunity not to have to print them off for them and get them to them. Now, there *seems* to be a way on the website for them to let us know that we don't have to print them up. Any one out there (I am sure there is someone) that can help me with this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm guessing that impacts the PDF that CHQ generates and sends down to the wards.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

waynecooke wrote:Now, there *seems* to be a way on the website for them to let us know that we don't have to print them up. Any one out there (I am sure there is someone) that can help me with this?
There isn't any way to view that status for specific members directly. But as russelhltn suggests, this setting controls whether CHQ includes their statement in the pre-generated document it creates. So as long as you use the pre-generated document rather than generating your own statements then you're already taking that into account.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”