Check mix-up

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jbuhl68

Check mix-up

Post by jbuhl68 »

Not sure if this fits the topic but...I have in my hands an unused check #10. On LCR, there is a check #10 displayed and paid out to Bro. X. In my documentation of expenses, I am missing check #14 to Bro. X for the same amount and from the same expense category that is shown on LCR for check #10. My thinking is that someone pulled an unused check #14 instead of the check #10. In MLS, the check #10 was the next to be used in the queue so when check #14 went through the printer, it electronically was marked as #10. BTW, the printer was out of order during this process and no Record of Transmission is available. Question: since I cannot see an image of checks should I contact SLC on this or should I assume the above is correct thinking and void check #10.? Other thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Check mix-up

Post by russellhltn »

jbuhl68 wrote:Not sure if this fits the topic but
Not really. So it has been split off into it's own topic.

Unless someone else has a better idea, I'd call CHQ to see if they could provide more information or have a better idea.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Re: Organization of Expenses

Post by eblood66 »

jbuhl68 wrote:Not sure if this fits the topic but...I have in my hands an unused check #10. On LCR, there is a check #10 displayed and paid out to Bro. X. In my documentation of expenses, I am missing check #14 to Bro. X for the same amount and from the same expense category that is shown on LCR for check #10. My thinking is that someone pulled an unused check #14 instead of the check #10. In MLS, the check #10 was the next to be used in the queue so when check #14 went through the printer, it electronically was marked as #10. BTW, the printer was out of order during this process and no Record of Transmission is available. Question: since I cannot see an image of checks should I contact SLC on this or should I assume the above is correct thinking and void check #10.? Other thoughts?
I assume you mean that you have the check stub (the top 3rd) for check #14. If not, then you definitely need to track down who cut the check and find out where the stub went since it should be with the rest of the documentation.

Your conclusion is probably valid but you won't be able to void check #10 since the system thinks it's been cashed already. You could probably void #14 but that wouldn't represent the situation correctly. I think you need to contact the global service center and see if they can correct the number on the cashed check and then void #10 after that's corrected.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

You may also want to go into LCR Finance and print the cancelled check image(s) for your files so the auditor can understand what happened.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jbuhl68

Post by jbuhl68 »

Thanks everyone for your help...good suggestions. I will act on them and see what happens.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”