Expenses

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sethoo

Expenses

Post by sethoo »

How do I edit an error made in an expensis that has been submitted?
I mean how do I edit an expenses that has been submitted?
davesudweeks

Re: Expenses

Post by davesudweeks »

In MLS, open the original expense and correct the error there, then do a send/receive. You should print expense report again and file it with the original expense documentation for audit purposes.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

You will most likely have printed a check in completing the process. Follow the instructions found in the Help Center article Misprinted Checks and print the replacement check after the original expense has been corrected.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sethoo

Post by sethoo »

What if the expenses in MLS has been approved and can not be edited?
Approved expenses in MLS can not be changed or edited. how do you go about that?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What kind of change are you trying to make? You should be able to re-classify the expense, but I doubt if you can change the amount.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sethoo wrote:What if the expenses in MLS has been approved and can not be edited?
Approved expenses in MLS can not be changed or edited. how do you go about that?
You should be able to edit the category of any check expense within the US/Canada. If the amount was wrong then you need to void the previous check and issue a new one.

If the expense is a transfer then you can't edit it. To adjust the category you'd have to make a transfer from the incorrect category to the correct category assuming they are within the same top level category. To correct an incorrect transfer between top level categories you have to print a check and then deposit it back into your account.

For other kinds of expenses (in areas other than the US or Canada) you'd need to check with your area office on how to handle correcting mistakes. I'm guessing your talking about some non-check expense outside the US/Canada because the term Approved isn't used for checks here (it's either Issued or Cleared). If that's the case, it would help to know what area you are in. It's possible some other user may know what to do.
sah22

Post by sah22 »

I actually have the same question. I am the financial clerk but was out of town when the bishopric cut a check. When I came back to look at how they performed things I noticed that we overpaid by 11 cents because the person who turned in the receipt got a little dyslexic on the tax. The member claimed 1.76 but the receipt was for 1.67. The check had been cashed. Now I don't know what to do. I was going to get 11 cents from member and update the expense in the computer but it doesn't let me. What do I do?
sah22

Post by sah22 »

I found in the forums the exact situation that I just described (https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... nt#p113935). I tried to do what was said, but MLS does not allow for the adjustment of the tax (I do live in Utah). This is why I am asking for help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can't change the total of the check once it's been cashed. You may be able to shift the amount between categories, but that's about it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Try having the member make a $0.11 donation to that specific budget category.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”