Transfer to Stake with Insufficient Other funds

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
joseph.naylor.v

Transfer to Stake with Insufficient Other funds

Post by joseph.naylor.v »

I need to immediately transfer funds to the Stake for payments for both Girls Camp and Day Camp. In the past I have used whatever funds were in the Other category and did a straightforward transfer from our Other to the Stake's Other. This worked because there was the right amount in our Other budget to cover what the Stake needed.

This year however I do not have the full amount collected yet from both Primary parents and YW parents. My plan was to do a transfer and drain both Other: Girls Camp and Other: Day Camp. My question is how do I make up for the rest of the payment? Where do I pull it from and where do I send it to? The only other option I see is the pull it from Budget Allocations and send it to the Stake Budget Allocations. Is this correct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Transfer to Stake with Insufficient Other funds

Post by russellhltn »

If this was payment by check, I'd say write it from budget and then re-categorize it when the funds are available. But I'm not sure if you can do that with a transfer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I would pay the entire amount from the Other account (because you can only transfer from an Other account to the Stakes Other account). I'd then make a transfer from budget to Other to cover the excess (or you can do all that in the reverse order--it should work either way). As I don't think you can do a direct transfer from Budget to Other, you'll probably have to write a check from Budget and deposit into Other as part of a donation batch.

When the funds do come in you can then then re-categorize the check from Budget to Other to reverse the transfer.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

What we have done, and this has happened more than once, is to write one check with part of the total amount due coming out of the "Other" account, and the rest out of the Budget (say Young Women's and Primary's in this situation), and then when the funds are received, deposit the funds into the appropriate Budget account. It is kind of like a 'short term loan' (interest free) from the Budget to cover the shortage. That has never caused a problem in the audit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

waynecooke wrote:then when the funds are received, deposit the funds into the appropriate Budget account.
That's messy. Unless/until you look at the bigger picture, it makes it look like the donations were used to increase the budget. It would be much better to deposit those funds into the appropriate "Other" account and then edit the check to change where the funds are drawn on. The budget gets reimbursed and the resulting reports are squeaky clean.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

It would seem to me that this isn't that different that giving an "advance" from a Budget account, and then posting to the Budget account the funds that were returned unused.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”