Money given from wrong account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bakahre-p40

Money given from wrong account

Post by bakahre-p40 »

A week before I was called checks were issued to one of our scout leaders for a winter camp to reimburse him for costs. The money was supposed to come out of our "Other: Boy Scout Camp" fund, but instead was taken out of "budget". Is there a way that I can now transfer the money from the "other" account and into the budget account in order to correct this? What procedures would I need to follow? I feel pretty stuck as I have not been able to get a response from my stake. I appreciate any info. or help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bakahre wrote:A week before I was called checks were issued to one of our scout leaders for a winter camp to reimburse him for costs. The money was supposed to come out of our "Other: Boy Scout Camp" fund, but instead was taken out of "budget". Is there a way that I can now transfer the money from the "other" account and into the budget account in order to correct this? What procedures would I need to follow? I feel pretty stuck as I have not been able to get a response from my stake. I appreciate any info. or help.

The simplest was to correct this is to simply update the expense in MLS.
  1. In MLS under Finances, choose View/Update Expenses.
  2. Find the check in the list and click on the blue "Ref. No." (the check number)
  3. Change the category of the check.
  4. Click Save
  5. Enter the reason for the adjustment
  6. You'll then see a dialog box explaining the change. You should use the Print button on the page to print out these details and attach the printout to your expense report.
  7. Do a Send/Receive, which will transmit the change to Church headquarters.
  8. On your next Church Unit Financial Statement, review the entries for this transaction to make sure Budget has been credited and Other has been debited.
The online training lesson Understanding and Using the “Other” Category explains another way to make the adjustment (on slide 32). But the method I describe above is more straightforward.

However, before you make this change, you may want to review Funding Youth Camps, which contains references to Church policy which states that the Budget Allowance is to be used for all ward activities, except for one annual camp or similar activity for youth. If this is not the one annual camp, it may have been correct to fund it from the Budget category. Consult with your bishop on this topic.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Alan_Brown wrote:However, before you make this change, you may want to review Funding Youth Camps, which contains references to Church policy which states that the Budget Allowance is to be used for all ward activities, except for one annual camp or similar activity for youth. If this is not the one annual camp, it may have been correct to fund it from the Budget category. Consult with your bishop on this topic.

As a clarification, the budget should be used for ALL scout activities (including the annual camp), but an exception may be made in the case of the annual camp (and equipment) if the budget allowance funds are insufficient. The order is 1st - budget, 2nd - individual scout, and 3rd - group fundraising.

This policy is documented on page 10 in the publication at the following link:
http://ldsbsa.org/pdf/resources/Scoutin ... 20book.pdf

In my ward, the boy scout related Other categories are for the annual camp, equipment, and individual scout eagle project funds.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”