Excess (individual) Missionary Funds

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
nickeyring

Excess (individual) Missionary Funds

Post by nickeyring »

If there is an occasion where the family has contributed more than than has been charged to their missionary's account (i.e. missionary is released early), what is the best practice to clear off the excess? Can the family influence this decision?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Excess (individual) Missionary Funds

Post by russellhltn »

This is a sticky situation, and a big reason why the family shouldn't get too far ahead. According to the Handbook (Handbook 1:14.4.9), the amount is not to be refunded. It can be applied to another missionary, sent to the stake to share with other wards, or sent to CHQ. (See 14.4.3).

There has been suggestions that the donation be re-classified as tithing, but I'm not sure how kosher that is.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:There has been suggestions that the donation be re-classified as tithing, but I'm not sure how kosher that is.
In November 2010, it was reported that LUS said reclassifying a donation from ward missionary fund to tithing or fast offering was acceptable. I do not know if this is still the policy, but I see no reason why it would not be, and a clerk could certainly check with Local Unit Support to see if this is still the case.
mmaynor

Post by mmaynor »

Sometimes the parents of the missionary don't know they are "ahead." sometimes other family and friends will contribute. In these cases we tell the parents that they can apply it to one of the other missionaries in the ward or that we can transfer that into the general ward mission fund. From there we can apply those funds to families who might be struggling and my Bishop wants to help them out.
chad.stewart

Post by chad.stewart »

(Handbook 1:4.6.1): [quote removed - donations are not refundable.]

Don't prepay. Finance clerks should keep the Bishop updated on missionaries' account balances so he can keep the family updated.
Last edited by russellhltn on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove quote of Handbook 1
nrajeff

Post by nrajeff »

My question is related but not directly.

If a missionary (an elder, say) entered the MTC during the last half of a month--e.g., December 18--then his family would have paid the full $400 for that month, even though their son wasn't a missionary for the first half of December.

At the end of his mission, 2 years later, he returns home and is released in the last half of December. Should his family pay for THAT entire month as well, even though their son wasn't a missionary for the LAST half of that December?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

If the mission returns within 2 weeks of the 24 month point then he will only make 24 payments (for elders). So there will be no payment for December at the end of his mission. However, if the missionary comes home 15 days or more after the 24 month anniversary then there will be an additional payment. See Missionary Finances in the Help Center for detailed information about missionary financing including this information (especially in the Extensions and Early Releases section).
nrajeff

Post by nrajeff »

Thanks to eblood66 for that answer.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”