Transferring Missionary Funds to another Ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
hansen11

Transferring Missionary Funds to another Ward

Post by hansen11 »

How do I find a family that has moved out of the ward?
And how do I transfer their missionary fund to their new ward?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Transferring Missionary Funds to another Ward

Post by russellhltn »

You should have a report of people who have recently moved out and what unit they have moved to.

Note that you'll need the permission of the new unit to move the missionary responsibility to them. So, I'd make a phone call to the new bishop.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hansen11 wrote:And how do I transfer their missionary fund to their new ward?
Part of the discussion with the bishop of the new ward is to determine when the financial responsibility changes (which is usually impacted by the timing of when the parents started to make donations in the new ward). Knowing that information, you (or the new bishop/clerk) tell the Global Service Center when the responsibility changes. The change by the GSC may lead to an automatic transfer of funds; generally you don't have to take any other action to transfer funds.
iverdavi

Post by iverdavi »

So we have a new family coming in to the Ward and want to start making the monthly missionary donation for their full-time missionary. The missionary 's name does not appear in our list of WARD missionaries. Do we call GSC or does the previous ward?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

iverdavi wrote:So we have a new family coming in to the Ward and want to start making the monthly missionary donation for their full-time missionary. The missionary 's name does not appear in our list of WARD missionaries. Do we call GSC or does the previous ward?
I think CHQ wants to confirm with the new unit that the bishop is ok with this, so I'd think it would be smoother if you called.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lrtmerriman

Post by lrtmerriman »

Just this past August we had the same situation. The family moved into our ward. While previously it was accepted for my Bishop to call as say we had talked to the previous ward's bishop and our ward was accepting responsibility - this time we actually had to have the previous ward's bishop call GSC and request the account be moved, then after the request was made our bishop had to call back and approve the movement of the account.

Like I said, this was not the same as previous account movements. I do not know if the movement request, then approval is actually GSC policy of just a new person making us jump through hoops.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”