Expense reimbursement form required? Audit Question 16

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
evlarson

Expense reimbursement form required? Audit Question 16

Postby evlarson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:33 am

I am an auditor and found an expense reimbursement that did not have a reimbursement request form. I was going to write up an exemption until I read the instructions for question 16, "Make sure the bishop has reviewed and authorized the payments by signing at least one of the following: original invoice, original bill, original receipt, or payment request form. The bishop’s signature on the MLS Expense Report is also acceptable proof of his review and authorization." The bishop had signed the MLS expense report so I could not give an audit exemption. This leads me to ask, are reimbursement request forms even necessary? Is there any guidance on this?

Additionally on a previous audit I gave exemptions because I found reimbursement expense forms without signatures, now I am thinking I should not have marked them as exemptions. Please advise and clarify.

eblood66

Re: Expense reimbursement form required? Audit Question 16

Postby eblood66 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:14 am

A reimbursement form is not required but is recommended since it helps manage the reimbursement process and gather all the information needed to correctly record and process the transaction. But the audit question isn't about making sure that process is smooth but is just concerned with whether there is evidence of the bishop's approval. So as long as the bishops signature is on one of the indicated papers then there should not be an exception.

Personally, although it is not required I like to have a signature for each expense (rather than relying on the Expense Report). It helps the audit go smoothly. But if the bishop gives me a bill for fast offering reimbursement, I just have him sign the bill. I don't want to make the bishop go to more work and filling out the request myself seems redundant because I'll just record the same information on the computer right after.

evlarson

Postby evlarson » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:46 am

Thank you for answering my question.

rodkidman

Postby rodkidman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:46 pm

where can I find the form to print for reimbursement?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:39 pm

rodkidman wrote:where can I find the form to print for reimbursement?

There is no such church-wide form. Each unit comes up with their own. I'd suggest you check with your clerk.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

waynecooke

Postby waynecooke » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:45 pm

This is very interesting. It will save us a lot if time and inconvenience for the Bishop. But, if anyone is interested, here is a Request Form I put together several years ago.

Reimbursement request.pdf
(19.59 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 pm

There are recommended forms in the Wiki here.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”