Tithing donation received prior to end of year not opened till after first of year

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
walkerjd

Tithing donation received prior to end of year not opened till after first of year

Post by walkerjd »

We have received an envelope that was given to member of bishopric prior to end of year but not opened till after the first of the year. The member had wanted it to be on 2016 year as he paid his full amount on this check. Is there anything that can be done to make this for 2016.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Tithing donation received prior to end of year not opened till after first of year

Post by russellhltn »

Since it was recieved in 2016, you can. I believe what you have to do is create a new batch dated 31 Dec 2016.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Re: Tithing donation received prior to end of year not opened till after first of year

Post by eblood66 »

Yes. As long as the bishopric received the envelope before the end of the year (or it was mailed before the end of the year) you can create a batch to deposit it for 2016. Start a batch in MLS like normal. The first thing it asks is for the date of the batch. Normally you leave that date alone but in this case change the date to Dec 31, 2016. Then enter the donation in that batch and process the batch like normal. Do not enter anything in the batch except donations received or mailed before the end of the year. If needed, you can then do another normal batch for any other donations you may have that belong in 2017.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Details can be found in the Help Center: Prior Year Donations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
walkerjd

Post by walkerjd »

After I sent the notice I did look on the wiki and found the answer you gave. Thank you so much. I did create a new batch however I made a mistake on the date I changed the year and day but forgot to change month so it created it for January 31 2016. I figured I would call support services tomorrow to see about changing the batch to December 31st.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”