Handling of tithing not deposited.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jason.chamberlain

Handling of tithing not deposited.

Post by jason.chamberlain »

I was taught that only the bishop can hold tithing after Sunday, and between Sundays. For example if a deposit cannot be made on given Sunday, only the bishop can hold it until the next Sunday. However I am unable to verify this policy anywhere. Does anyone know the policy? Can a counselor hold tithing in between Sundays?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Handling of tithing not deposited.

Post by russellhltn »

Handbook 1:14.6.3 covers the situation when there's no deposit box available on Sundays. That's the closest I can find.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I heard somewhere at one point that only the bishop can hold unopened tithing envelopes during the week – for example, if a member gives a donation to the bishopric after that week's deposit has been prepared, only the bishop can keep that envelope with him until the following Sunday. Donations received by mail are always sent to the bishop's home, which would usually be kept by him during the week until Sunday. But like you, I'm not finding anything specific in the current Handbook.

It's probably a good idea, since the bishop is ultimately accountable and responsible for finances in the ward, but I can't find a policy.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lovlovlov

Post by lovlovlov »

hi how do i pay my tighting online
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

While the question departs from this topic, the answer can be found here:

https://www.lds.org/help/support/financ ... s?lang=eng

(To other moderators/administrators: If you wish to move this post and the previous post to a different topic, please go ahead.)

Return to “Local Unit Finance”