Funds back into Ward Missionary

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
luvmy8dz-p40
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:32 pm
Location: Midland, TX

Funds back into Ward Missionary

Postby luvmy8dz-p40 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:55 pm

We had a missionary's family move from our ward and we have completed all the arrangements for his funds to be taken from the new ward. But the funds that were taken from our ward during the interim have now been deposited back into our ward funds as shown on our monthly statement. How do I record the deposit of these funds back into our Ward Missionary category in order to get the statement to reconcile?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:32 pm

luvmy8dz wrote:We had a missionary's family move from our ward and we have completed all the arrangements for his funds to be taken from the new ward. But the funds that were taken from our ward during the interim have now been deposited back into our ward funds as shown on our monthly statement. How do I record the deposit of these funds back into our Ward Missionary category in order to get the statement to reconcile?


The most straightforward way is to use the Reconciliation process. On the Other Items step, create one or more positive transactions for the Ward Missionary account. Use the date and reference number from your Church Unit Financial Statement for each of the transactions.

luvmy8dz-p40
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:32 pm
Location: Midland, TX

Postby luvmy8dz-p40 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:23 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:The most straightforward way is to use the Reconciliation process. On the Other Items step, create one or more positive transactions for the Ward Missionary account. Use the date and reference number from your Church Unit Financial Statement for each of the transactions.


I guess that's my question--how do I create the positive transaction?

jbh001
Community Moderators
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby jbh001 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:56 pm

luvmy8dz wrote:I guess that's my question--how do I create the positive transaction?
During the reconcile process, when you get to the Other Items tab, click Add item, adjust the date to the transaction date of the credit appearing on the corresponding CUFS, enter the reference number that corresponds to the credit, as it appears on the CUFS, select the appropriate Ward missionary category (or subcategory), enter the amount as a negative amount (e.g. -400.00), enter a reason for the "item" (such as: credit from other ward), then click the Save button.

I always ended up guessing wrong as to which way to enter an amount on this screen, so you may need to experiment with the entering the amount as a negative number and as a positive number until it balances out correctly on the Missionary column of the Unreconciled Differences section of the Report tab.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:01 pm

jbh001 wrote:During the reconcile process, when you get to the Other Items tab, click Add item, adjust the date to the transaction date of the credit appearing on the corresponding CUFS, enter the reference number that corresponds to the credit, as it appears on the CUFS, select the appropriate Ward missionary category (or subcategory), enter the amount as a negative amount (e.g. -400.00), enter a reason for the "item" (such as: credit from other ward), then click the Save button.

I always ended up guessing wrong as to which way to enter an amount on this screen, so you may need to experiment with the entering the amount as a negative number and as a positive number until it balances out correctly on the Missionary column of the Unreconciled Differences section of the Report tab.


And you guessed wrong this time, too :rolleyes:. On the Other Items screen, positive is positive and negative is negative -- if you want a credit, enter it as a positive amount; if it is an expense, enter it as a negative amount.

So in the case at hand, what is desired is a credit, so follow the above instructions, but make sure that you enter a positive amount.

jbh001
Community Moderators
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby jbh001 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:04 pm

Alan_Brown wrote:And you guessed wrong this time, too :rolleyes:.
Just my luck, I'm not surprised.:o

dshlvrsn-p40
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:12 pm
Location: Coppell, TX USA

Postby dshlvrsn-p40 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:16 pm

This will help for the one reconciliation but when would that item 'clear'? Would the temporary item stay through the end of the year?

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6522
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:40 pm

dshlvrsn wrote:This will help for the one reconciliation but when would that item 'clear'? Would the temporary item stay through the end of the year?
The item discussed here is an Other Item and not a Temporary Item. Temporary Items are carried over until they are resolved.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14685
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:15 pm

dshlvrsn wrote:This will help for the one reconciliation but when would that item 'clear'? Would the temporary item stay through the end of the year?


An Other Item creates a Transfer that is immediately and automatically checked off in the reconciliation. You can view it in the View Transfers screen.


Return to “Local Unit Finance”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest