tithing declaration report

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eblood66

Re: tithing declaration report

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:It would be interesting to see what domain that pop up page is from. I suspect it's different from LCR. That's probably what's triggering Adblock.
It's actually doing a AJAX request which returns a JSON result which contains the PDF data in encoded form. It then opens the data in another window using a blob: URL. It looks like AdBlock blocks this technique by default.
jpjones~ogr

Post by jpjones~ogr »

My current wonderment seems closely related this this thread topic, though I'm open to correction.

I'm hoping for a little review of perspectives (below).

Background - Our ward has some interesting struggles this year. Currently they're affecting progress through tithing declaration interviews. Since the new Dec. 15 declaration report submission deadline is close, we're concerned about consequences. We're aware of an interview work-around in the handbook, but as yet aren't permitted to use it. Some local input suggests that this report deadline is soft, and an absolute date is in January. Slight spill over into January might have worked previously, but I've successfully avoided testing such boundaries.

Perspectives - Barring some interesting miracles, it's likely that we will miss the submission deadline. This failure should promptly trigger outreach from HQ, which should open access to the handbook work-around.

I've been asked for input on a rather unique topic, so I'm trying to check my sanity. Other insights are welcome.

John
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I don't know or have access to the instructions sent to local units, but I do know that there won't be a submit button any more and that a ward/branch will be 'submitted' on or after the 1st of January when all members in their unit as of January 1st have a declaration. Even if you complete all your interviews by the 15th, if someone moves in after that you will still need to do their declaration (unless the prior ward already did it). In the past there was some deadline for when the report was supposed to be submitted (used to be manually) to HQ. From memory it used to be January 15th, but that was ~15 years ago when I was a ward clerk.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jonesrk wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:21 pm I don't know or have access to the instructions sent to local units, but I do know that there won't be a submit button any more and that a ward/branch will be 'submitted' on or after the 1st of January when all members in their unit as of January 1st have a declaration. Even if you complete all your interviews by the 15th, if someone moves in after that you will still need to do their declaration (unless the prior ward already did it). In the past there was some deadline for when the report was supposed to be submitted (used to be manually) to HQ. From memory it used to be January 15th, but that was ~15 years ago when I was a ward clerk.
The official letter dated Aug 25, 2022 entitled 'Tithing Declarations and Donor Statements' instructs stake presidents and stake clerks to review the declarations and ensure that all wards have entered all their declarations by Jan 15th.
jpjones~ogr wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:51 am Perspectives - Barring some interesting miracles, it's likely that we will miss the submission deadline. This failure should promptly trigger outreach from HQ, which should open access to the handbook work-around.
I doubt CHQ will reach out before the Jan 15th deadline mentioned in the letter. You may want to make sure your stake president and stake clerk are aware of any issues. I'm not familiar with this work-around. Where in the handbook is this mentioned?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jpjones~ogr wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:51 am Since the new Dec. 15 declaration report submission deadline ...
I wonder where "Dec 15th" came from. That doesn't sound right.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:42 pm
jpjones~ogr wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:51 am Since the new Dec. 15 declaration report submission deadline ...
I wonder where "Dec 15th" came from. That doesn't sound right.
The Aug 25th letter indicates that tithing declaration is supposed to end on Dec 15th. It does not specifically say anything about submitting the declaration then, just that 'tithing declaration ends'. My interpretation is that units are supposed to try to get all tithing declaration meetings complete by Dec 15th. But the bishop will still need to enter declarations for anyone who does not come in for an interview and that really can't happen until after interviews are done.
jpjones~ogr

Post by jpjones~ogr »

Thanks for nudging me to re-read the August notice. I previously ignored the stake section, which is a little confusing considering other instructions, but answers a question.

A link in the notice (... tools/help/conduct-tithing-declaration) leads to more detail on tasks and timing. A relevant instruction is that "Declarations should be entered upon completion of tithing declaration and prior to December 15." So, I expect a warning to develop if we miss the deadline.

Cool. I'm ready to rumble now.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”