Tithing Settlement for a spouse of a deceased person that handled tithing for the both of them

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
DiscostewSM

Tithing Settlement for a spouse of a deceased person that handled tithing for the both of them

Post by DiscostewSM »

Going through Tithing Settlement procedures, we have come across an issue regarding donations and a deceased person with a spouse that is living. The husband died in early September, and he was the head of the household that his wife was part of. His name was on the donations, even though it counted for both him and his wife. Now that he has passed (and recorded) and the widow is handling tithing on her own, her records show only from September and onward regarding any donations. Is there a procedure that can be done to count or move the year's worth of donations from the deceased person to the widow?
eblood66

Re: Tithing Settlement for a spouse of a deceased person that handled tithing for the both of them

Post by eblood66 »

I very much doubt it. You could contact Local Unit Support and check but I don't think there is any need to change the donations.

You should be able to print a statement of the donations made in his name and you should be able to have her name show up on that statement as well (if it doesn't then go into LCR to the Finance > Participants, find his record, click on Edit and change the setting so that her name shows up). You can then also print a statement for her for the recent donations. The two statements together should be sufficient for tax purposes.

As far as tithing settlement is concerned, it doesn't matter who the donations are attached to, she can still declare herself a full tithe payer.
DiscostewSM

Re: Tithing Settlement for a spouse of a deceased person that handled tithing for the both of them

Post by DiscostewSM »

Unfortunately, his name does not appear under Participants unless I include "Out of Unit" participants, and even then, there is no Edit button associated with his record to make the change to her. His donations do show up though, so should I just print out his donations and give that to his spouse?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

DiscostewSM wrote:His donations do show up though, so should I just print out his donations and give that to his spouse?
Yes, I would do that. And if she needs a tax statement in January, try again to retrieve his information. Otherwise, she (or you on her behalf) will need to contact Church headquarters for the tax statement.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”