Did the Check Print Correctly? Kind Of

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tubaloth

Did the Check Print Correctly? Kind Of

Post by tubaloth »

I guess wondering if this is ok.

I put in the expenses today. One of them was for a hospital bill that we don't see very often. At least I hadn't done it.
I then was ready to print all the checks. I print the hospital bill and see the address on the check, and realize who ever had entered this hospital for the first time had put the patience's address as the hospitals address. (Maybe that is what was wanted before) but I wanted to mail the check to the hospital.

I'm on the screen that is asking me "Did the Check Print correctly?" Yes it printed fine, but I want to change some things, so I click No.
Which does take me back to the screen to edit the address. But the problem is I can't change the check number. I want the check numbers to match.
(I'm not really sure what the "Did the Check Print correctly" popup is for then?)

So I then hit cancel in my printing of checks, I wanted to go back to checks, but MLS required I print the check summary? first so I do.
I go back and start printing checks again, but this time I get the dialog box to enter in the starting check number. I then enter the next check that I'm going to print on. I can then edit the address and keep moving forward.
I actually did this one more time because I had entered in the wrong amount on a check.

I write void on the miss printed checks, but my problem is I just skipped that check number. That check # is never used, SLC never sees it. (Nobody can ever cash it).
Was this an ok way of doing things? Do I need to just let SLC know those check numbers that are not being used?

The alternative seems more complicated but might be more correct.
Let the bad check go through (Click yes that the check printed correctly).
After all checks are printed, I then go back in and void the wrong checks.
I then go back in and re-enter the expense again
Print again. Go home later.

Thanks
eblood66

Re: Did the Check Print Correctly? Kind Of

Post by eblood66 »

tubaloth wrote:I write void on the miss printed checks, but my problem is I just skipped that check number. That check # is never used, SLC never sees it. (Nobody can ever cash it).
Was this an ok way of doing things? Do I need to just let SLC know those check numbers that are not being used?
What you've done is fine except that you need to cut out the signature part of the voided checks (and file the remaining portion to show during the audit that it wasn't cashed).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tubaloth wrote:I'm not really sure what the "Did the Check Print correctly" popup is for then?
The scenario that popup and query appears to support is when the check stock has not been run through the printer and the check information is printed on regular paper stock. In this scenario the check needs to be reprinted on check stock. The query in the popup allows the user to reprint the check without MLS advancing to the next check number. This scenario is not what you experienced. So as you found out, the best option is to complete the check printing process, void the faulty check, and reprocess the disbursement on another check.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tubaloth

Post by tubaloth »

eblood66 wrote: What you've done is fine except that you need to cut out the signature part of the voided checks (and file the remaining portion to show during the audit that it wasn't cashed).
I did write void on the checks, but the church doesn't even know about the checks. Really they don't exist (the check number was skipped). They were never signed.

I have never heard of cutting out the signature part? Is writing void on the check not enough?
tubaloth

Post by tubaloth »

So as you found out, the best option is to complete the check printing process, void the faulty check, and reprocess the disbursement on another check.
So that is the best option?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

tubaloth wrote: I have never heard of cutting out the signature part? Is writing void on the check not enough?
Cutting out the signatures is required. See the Voiding a Check article in the Help Center. The auditors should check that this is done during your audit.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tubaloth wrote:I did write void on the checks, but the church doesn't even know about the checks. Really they don't exist (the check number was skipped) They were never signed.
In the best scenario the church may not know about the checks. In the worst scenario the checks, or forged facsimiles, are processed unbeknownst by the ward. Somewhere in between those scenarios an in depth audit could be performed and the question as to what happened to those checks cannot be adequately provided. Then would follow a possibly lengthy and costly investigation. Following the procedures reduces the potential for fraud or abuse.
tubaloth wrote:I have never heard of cutting out the signature part? Is writing void on the check not enough?
Ink can be removed from a check and the check re-used. Removing the signature area of the check and destroying it is an additional measure to ensure the check cannot be cashed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”