Contact Depository re July 31 Deposit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lowellnelson

Contact Depository re July 31 Deposit

Post by lowellnelson »

Our unit financial statement for July noted that our unit had deposited money on Sunday, 31-Jul-2016, but that it had not appeared on the statement (probably because the statement was printed as of Sunday, 31-Jul-2016, and the deposit was recorded on Monday, 1-Aug-2016), and that I should contact the depository to confirm that they had received the deposit. So I called the depository (Bank of American Fork, Highland branch), identified myself and the issue, but they said they could neither deny nor confirm whether a deposit had been made because I am not a signer on the church account to which the deposit was made. Yes, I sign checks for our unit (I am the financial clerk of our unit), but I am not a signer on the church account to which the deposit was made. Therefore, I was not able to confirm that the deposit had been received. Going forward, I recommend that the church NOT suggest that I contact the depository in this situation because the depository cannot confirm anything to local leadership. Your thoughts?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Contact Depository re July 31 Deposit

Post by lajackson »

lowellnelson wrote:I recommend that the church NOT suggest that I contact the depository in this situation because the depository cannot confirm anything to local leadership. Your thoughts?
This happens every time the deposit is prepared and transmitted on the last day of the month and the depository bank clears it on the first day of the following month. For many years, we had a signature card on file with the depository bank, so it was not a problem and they would speak with us.

I would not have worried about it until the Church said the deposit never arrived. Then I would have gotten a little bit excited,
drepouille

Re: Contact Depository re July 31 Deposit

Post by drepouille »

Our ward CUBS statement said the same thing. I circled it on the printed statement, and the bishop asked me about it. I told him not to worry about it unless we received another message about this "missing" deposit. We dropped our deposit in the mailbox at the Post Office on Sunday, 31 July 2016.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Local Unit Finance”