Non-member Donation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kylems-p40

Donation to Other

Post by kylems-p40 »

Allow me to throw one more variable into the mix. His son is in Cub Scouts. Could his donation go through the Other account with the understanding that it is no longer charitable? Does his son being in Cub Scouts qualify the expense as his receiving the donation's benefit?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

kylems wrote:Allow me to throw one more variable into the mix. His son is in Cub Scouts. Could his donation go through the Other account with the understanding that it is no longer charitable? Does his son being in Cub Scouts qualify the expense as his receiving the donation's benefit?

That is not the problem in this case. The problem is that the "Other" accounts are not supposed to be used for general support of Cub Scouts, which with the narrow exception of a single annual day camp are supposed to be funded entirely out of Budget funds. This is true even if non-members participate in the scout unit. There is no way for anyone to contribute for general equipment purposes, whether they are a member or not, and whether their child participates or not.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

kylems wrote:Could his donation go through the Other account with the understanding that it is no longer charitable?
Small clarification... Donations to the budget are not considered charitable by the church either.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LSS-p40

Post by LSS-p40 »

boomerbubba wrote:Are there not restrictions on the use of "Other" funds for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts? I am aware of allowable exceptions to support a single camp per year per scout, and some dedicated "Other" accounts for specific Eagle projects, but I didn't think general-purpose contributions by members or non-members were allowed.

The only thing you can collect for in Other is the one annual camp and /or group equipment associated with these camps. Eagle projects, scout awards, etc., are all funded from the budget allowance.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

LSS wrote:The only thing you can collect for in Other is the one annual camp and /or group equipment associated with these camps. Eagle projects, scout awards, etc., are all funded from the budget allowance.

I would clarify that this statement only makes sense in the context of Scouting. Of course you can still collect funds in the Other account for things such as RS Enrichment activities, Church magazine subscriptions, and temple dinners.
LSS-p40

Post by LSS-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:I would clarify that this statement only makes sense in the context of Scouting. Of course you can still collect funds in the Other account for things such as RS Enrichment activities, Church magazine subscriptions, and temple dinners.

Yes, again, I should have clarified "in the event of surplus funds in the scout account, cub day camp and/or girls camp". Again, I am sorry. Brother Brown, can you tell it is time for me to go home? :D I'll try to be more thorough. Have a good night.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

LSS wrote:The only thing you can collect for in Other is the one annual camp and /or group equipment associated with these camps. Eagle projects, scout awards, etc., are all funded from the budget allowance.

Doesn't the nature of the Eagle project make a difference here? It is not unusual for such projects to entail capital formation. For example, if the definition of the project is to raise funds and accomplish some external good works such as constructing a picnic table in a park, those are really pass-through funds that might be allowable in Other even if it were not a scout function. Or the Eagle project itself might produce a store of gear, first-aid equipment, etc. that would be associated with future camps for the troop, and thus according to your own comments would be allowable uses of Other camp funds in their own right.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”