Does MLS allow online payments from one ward to another or to the stake?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Does MLS allow online payments from one ward to another or to the stake?

Post by lajackson »

As with davesudweeks, we make transfers upon request (and with approval), and advise that the transfer has taken place. Otherwise, the receiving unit never notices unless they are paying extraordinary attention.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

lajackson wrote:As with davesudweeks, we make transfers upon request (and with approval), and advise that the transfer has taken place. Otherwise, the receiving unit never notices unless they are paying extraordinary attention.
lajackson makes a good point that should be obvious. I believe a transfer is no different than a reimbursement (as far as documentation goes) so it does have to be approved by the bishop. I usually receive a transfer request via e-mail from the Bishop and file that as approval to transfer money from the ward. If I receive a verbal request from him, I fill out a reimbursement slip, mark as "transfer, not check" and have him sign it.

A bishopric member and a clerk have to complete the transfer, but that action does not prove the bishop's approval. Some may consider this extra work, but I know our auditor and have learned by painful experience what he will accept and what he will not accept during the financial audit.
lomondview

Post by lomondview »

Thank you all for your help!
brightagbons

Post by brightagbons »

How can I do transfer from my unit to my stake using the LCR?
jwjohnson99

Post by jwjohnson99 »

We just had this situation. We don’t show a listing for the stake under out of out of unit transfers so we just printed a check to the stake to move the funds.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

brightagbons wrote:How can I do transfer from my unit to my stake using the LCR?
LCR > Finance > Transfers > Enter Transfers. Enter a description in the "Purpose" field; select the category and the amount in the "From" box. Select "Transfer Out of Unit..." in the "To" box. A new drop-down selection box with the title "Transferring to:" with "unit" will be displayed. Click "unit" to see the selections available. The first option is "Transfer out of Stake/District". If you select that option the edit box title will change to "Search for an external unit". The external unit name or number can be entered for the system to find. If a unit within your stake, including the stake, is desired then scroll down the list to find the ward/branch or the stake name. Once the unit is selected the edit box title will change to the name of the unit selected and the drop-down list box will show the word "category". Click it and you can scroll through the list of categories available to transfer into. Enter the amount in the "Transfer Amount" to the right. If necessary, additional categories can be added with a corresponding amount by clicking "Add row". The total of the amounts for multiple categories in the "To" box must equal the total of the amounts in the "From" box. Documentation can be added if necessary. I usually add a document that contains the information necessary to explain the purpose of the transfer. For our unit we include all the information necessary for a reimbursement request.

Transfers will require two signatures to be completed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jwjohnson99

Post by jwjohnson99 »

I follow that procedure, but when clicking on the Category field in the out of Stake/District unit - no categories are listed and I can't complete the transfer without that. We're trying to transfer some missionary funds to a previous ward.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jwjohnson99 wrote:I follow that procedure, but when clicking on the Category field in the out of Stake/District unit - no categories are listed and I can't complete the transfer without that. We're trying to transfer some missionary funds to a previous ward.
Are you trying to transfer missionary funds to the ward a missionary moved from? If so, a better approach would be to have the service center make the adjustments when they transfer responsibility for the missionary funding.
jwjohnson99

Post by jwjohnson99 »

We are. The church did do that, but funds were being deposited into our Ward Fund on this missionary's behalf by a trust. We didn't realize until now that they weren't being put into the missionary's individual account. Some of those funds should have properly gone to the previous ward.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jwjohnson99 wrote:We are. The church did do that, but funds were being deposited into our Ward Fund on this missionary's behalf by a trust. We didn't realize until now that they weren't being put into the missionary's individual account. Some of those funds should have properly gone to the previous ward.
One alternative would be to have the service center make the adjustments for you.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”