MLS expenses and tax entry

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ffrsqpilot

MLS expenses and tax entry

Post by ffrsqpilot »

I am sure if I called Salt Lake they would have an immediate answer, but seeing as they are closed until Monday I thought I would put the question out for discussion.

This morning I was at the stake center finishing putting some paperwork into the right files. While doing this I began looking closely at several of the bills I've paid recently. (I'm the stake clerk and finance clerk rolled into one so I see all the bills that come through the stake). I noticed on one of our telephone bills (our stake pays for several wards within the stake that have telephone service other than through Salt Lake). When I pay the bills I include the tax that is noted on the bills. But I got to wondering about several other charges that may or may not be "a tax". Specifically, on all the phone bills I pay I see charges for Federal Universal Service Fee and on one particular bill not only the Fed Univ Serv Fee but a Colorado Universal Service Fee as well. Are these considered taxes - does anyone know?

Normally I only pay what is listed as a tax but on closer reading of the bills I noticed some fees are listed in a certain order and then after a space the tax is included in the bill and right below it without a space are the Fed and or Colorado Universal Service Fees. Makes me wonder if they are to be considered a tax that should be added into the tax line when entering expenses in MLS.

Just wondering.

Jim
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The federal universal service fee is not considered a tax by the FCC.

The federal universal service fund (FUSF) is a fund with the goal of ensuring that all Americans have access to quality telecommunications services at affordable rates. Not only does the FUSF ensure that customers in hard to access and predominantly rural areas receive quality telecom services at prices they can afford, it also subsidizes programs such as Internet services for schools and libraries, services for low-income consumers and rural health care providers. All telecommunications providers are required to pay into the fund.

I do not know about the fee for Colorado. But if it is same as or similar to the federal fee then it would be treated the same.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

Thanks, that is what I thought and for that reason had never entered anything other than an actual tax into the tax block when doing expenses. What made me wonder was the way the billing company had the fees listed - grouping the tax and the Universal Service Fee together.

Jim

Return to “Local Unit Finance”