Incorrect donor category

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Greggo wrote:How exactly did you "switch" the payments. My understanding is that funds cannot be just transferred between main categories (ie. Other, Budget, Tithing, etc.). Is this not correct?

I would think you would have needed to give each of the donors a reimbursement check and then have them endorse it back to the ward as a tithing donation. But this should not have caused the problem you experienced.

You can't simply transfer funds, but you can correct a donation to be in a different major category. That's what was done in this case.

But I agree that it probably would have been simpler (for the clerk, but not the donors) to issue a reimbursement check.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Greggo wrote:How exactly did you "switch" the payments. My understanding is that funds cannot be just transferred between main categories (ie. Other, Budget, Tithing, etc.). Is this not correct?

I would think you would have needed to give each of the donors a reimbursement check and then have them endorse it back to the ward as a tithing donation. But this should not have caused the problem you experienced.
jbh001 wrote:That certainly sounds like a cleaner and more transparent way of making the adjustment. It's nice to be accommodating, but look at all the extra work it created. Simpler to cut a check to the member and then let them handle it from there.
It's a matter of opinion which is easier. It's very easy to change a donation category. In this case, all the problems were due to mistakes made at CHQ. Had they done it correctly, there would be no problems, no outstanding checks to worry about, etc.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”