Requirement for Copy of Rental Aggreemnet

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
agr8zebra

Requirement for Copy of Rental Aggreemnet

Post by agr8zebra »

I just went through our Ward Financial Audit, our only exception was that we didn't have copies of Contracts or Rental agreements for those we provided rental or mortgage assistance. This is the first I or my bishop had heard of the requirement. In a stake training meeting earlier last year there was much discussion on making sure checks were written to Landlords and such. Can someone please provide me the location of said requirement in the Handbook or equivalent?
eblood66

Re: Requirement for Copy of Rental Aggreemnet

Post by eblood66 »

Supporting documentation is required for all expenses. There is no exception for rental or mortgage assistance. Receipts can be used for most reimbursements. But for fast offering assistance generally there is some sort of bill. In the case of rental or mortgage assistance generally the lease or mortgage statement is the best supporting document (although if you can get a receipt from the landlord that would also be acceptable). We usually keep on file a copy of each lease or rental agreement where we have been providing assistance. When we make a check for a payment we copy the agreement and attach it to the check documentation.

The audit form itself is probably the first and foremost place this requirement is listed. It is also listed in the financial training documents in the Help Center. In particular the article/training video on Expenses and Reimbursements mentions this requirement.
agr8zebra

Post by agr8zebra »

We ALWAYS get a receipt at some point for any rent support we give a member, so that would suffice, Correct? As you stated it is not the BEST, but the a a receipt from the landlord for the payment would suffice?

Example Sister X comes to the Bishop, on the 5th of the month, says I need help with this month rent. The Bishop should send her back to her apartment or to the landlord to get a copy of the rental/lease agreement.

Or

Get a check cut for her, made to the landlord and makes it imperative she get a copy of receipt back to the ward.

I like option 2 much better, it is the more Christ-like approach.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

The audit form just requires "proof of expense" with the qualifier that "original documents such as receipts or invoices are preferred". So a receipt certainly meets the requirements.

If you're successful in getting receipts you should be in good shape. But getting receipts from landlords is often problematic. Not all respond to requests for a receipt.

Another option is to cut the check and then ask the person receiving assistance to bring back a copy of the lease agreement as soon as possible. Although it is best to get the documentation before the check is cut, as long as the bishop approves the expense beforehand and the documentation is obtained soon after the policy and audit requirements can be met while still providing the assistance in a timely manner.
kennethbaird

Post by kennethbaird »

New clerk here, I'm glad to have found this forum. We had our audit last week, and one item mentioned was for a partial lease payment. We have the lease agreement on file, but the monthly amount stated on the agreement was different than the amount paid. Is the agreement still sufficient documentation if the amount paid is different? Does it make a difference if it's less or more?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Another option is to cut the check and then ask the person receiving assistance to bring back a copy of the lease agreement as soon as possible.
You could go a step further and say that there will be no "next time" assistance without the paperwork. That tends to motivate delivery of the paperwork in a timely fashion.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
agr8zebra

Post by agr8zebra »

@kennethbaird, I would say any amount less than or equal to the lease agreement would suffice.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

kennethbaird wrote:New clerk here, I'm glad to have found this forum. We had our audit last week, and one item mentioned was for a partial lease payment. We have the lease agreement on file, but the monthly amount stated on the agreement was different than the amount paid. Is the agreement still sufficient documentation if the amount paid is different? Does it make a difference if it's less or more?
Less shouldn't be a problem (although it may be useful to make a note of why). If it's more then you need some documentation to justify the additional expense. That might be a letter from the landlord notifying of increased rent, an overdue notice (which indicates an overdue fee or balance must be payed) or something else to serve as proof of expense.
kennethbaird

Post by kennethbaird »

That's helpful, thanks!
dheilner

Post by dheilner »

We ask all of our ward clerks or branch clerks to use a form for each payment for rent assistance fast offerings, signed by the Bishop/Branch Presdient. It looks like this (if this works to copy/post).

Rental Assistance Documentation

Date: __________
Check #_________ Amount of rental assistance: $___________

I have verified that _______________________________________does indeed reside at
(Name of person to receive rental assistance)

and have placed on file
[ ] a copy of the rental agreement, lease agreement, or sub-lease agreement.
or
[ ] a copy on official letter head of notice of balance due, or delinquent notice.
or
[ ] have verified with the land lord / property manager, leaser, or sub-leaser, the rent due amount and that rent is not being provided by a governmental agency.

Date of contact: ___________
Name of individual contacted: _____________________________
Phone number of individual contacted: ( ) -

Signature of Bishop/Branch President: ___________________________________

Return to “Local Unit Finance”