How do I demonstrate the churches tax exemption?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bgmiller8

How do I demonstrate the churches tax exemption?

Post by bgmiller8 »

We are supposed to be tax exempt when we use a vendor other than Staples. For example we rent a van every 6 months to take our Branch to the Temple. They will not remove the taxes unless I can show a certificate of the churches' tax exempt status. How to I obtain this type of certificate.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: How do I demonstrate the churches tax exemption?

Post by lajackson »

bgmiller8 wrote:They will not remove the taxes unless I can show a certificate of the churches' tax exempt status. How to I obtain this type of certificate.
The process is different in every state. Some states assign a "tax exempt" number to a church unit after they have properly applied. Other states have a form that is filled out (and sometimes certified) that the vendor then accepts. In other states, an IRS number is accepted. And in at least two states, you pay the tax and then file for a refund at the end of the year.

I would suggest you first visit with your stake clerk to see if he or one of the other clerks in your stake knows the procedure for your state. If they do not, try the web site for your Secretary of State, your Department of Revenue, or whatever state agency collects taxes in your state. There will most likely be something at the site that explains the process, and probably any needed form(s), as well.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”