Seminary Teacher Background Check Cost Reimbursement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
WR2010

Seminary Teacher Background Check Cost Reimbursement

Post by WR2010 »

Seminary Teachers in the State of Pennsylvania require background checks, for which a cost is incurred. Does anyone know the proper procedure for handling this cost? Thanks in advance!
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Seminary Teacher Background Check Cost Reimbursement

Post by scgallafent »

Your bishop should give you a copy of the Pennsylvania Child Protection Law Checklist form. That has a reimbursement form that should be completed and given to your clerk. The Pennsylvania Child Protection Law FAQ document has specific instructions for bishops and clerks on how to handle these reimbursements.
landbeck

Post by landbeck »

We have received the church document (The PA Child Child Protection Law - FAQ v4.0), and it does contain a section about processing the reimbursement. The instruction is, "To reimburse the member, the finance clerk enters the expense in MLS and selects the “Reimbursed Expenses: PA Child Protection Clearances” category. These costs are covered by Church headquarters and will not affect the local unit budget. Leaders can contact the Global Service Center (855-537-4357) with any questions about payments or reimbursements."

That category is not listed in our MLS installation. Our unit is based in MD, so I don't know if only PA units have it available/live, or if we need to make a special request to get access to it. Our seminary teacher lives in MD, but has three students who live in PA.

So now what?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Contact the GSC at the number listed. They may have only enabled it for stakes that are "... Pennsylvania Stake" units. I'll also mention it to the product manager next week and have him check on it. You're stake is on the list of adjacent stakes, so that is at least working.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Shouldn't reply from my phone...

Your stake... and it is working that you have access to the application.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

landbeck wrote:So now what?
I'd use the contact listed in the letter. Be sure to explain that you have students that live in PA.

Where does seminary take place? If neither the teacher nor the seminary classroom is in PA, I'm not sure as PA laws would apply. (Please note, that I'm not a lawyer - I'm just wondering how PA could have jurisdiction since I'd think the law would apply to the teacher/school and not to the students. Although, since the church does have a presence in PA, it may by their angle.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”