Wrong Check number

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tubaloth

Wrong Check number

Post by tubaloth »

We got a new Assistant ward clerk. I was going to have the old Assistant ward clerk show the new guys how to do things, I was probably going to help some.
We only had one bishopric counselor and he had some family stuff so they moved doing tithing to Thursday this last week. I wasn't there.

Today at church I was helping the new guy write some checks, and we were checking the check number it was way off.
What I guess happened is when they were writing checks one didn't go through correctly. They voided it, but I guess they wanted to type in the check number (to go back one?) not sure. But they typed in the wrong check number.

The numbers were all screwed up. They ended up writing 6 checks with the wrong check number (in the computer).

Will those checks go through? Do I need to fix anything? The check numbers are now correct.

???
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Wrong Check number

Post by jdlessley »

tubaloth wrote:The numbers were all screwed up. They ended up writing 6 checks with the wrong check number (in the computer).

Will those checks go through? Do I need to fix anything? The check numbers are now correct.
There is a problem when the check has two different numbers on it. There will be the number that comes preprinted and the number that MLS supplies printed just below the preprinted. If they do not match then there are two problems. I am guessing that the check may not pass through either the bank and/or headquarters will have a problem. I am not certain the check will or will not make it through the system since I have never let a misprinted check get by me.

The problem headquarters will have is they will not be certain what the check number should be and either kick it back or send a message through MLS to find out what the real number should be. The second problem will be in the financial audit should the check make it through the system. The number on the retained check stub may not match the number in the expense report - a flag for the auditor.

You won't know about the check going through the system until the person to whom the disbursement was made tries to cash the check. If you can, I'd contact the people to whom the disbursements were made. Provided they still have the check I'd ask them to check the check numbers printed on the check . If they do not match have them return it for a replacement. You can void the improperly printed check and print a new one.

To avoid problems like this in the future make sure those who have permissions to write checks are trained to follow the procedures. There are two places they could have caught the mismatch in check numbers. The first is when MLS displays the check number for the check to be printed. The person printing the check should make sure the number MLS shows is the same as on the check stock to be printed. There is another opportunity to ensure the check was printed properly when MLS shows a pop-up asking if the check printed OK. They should not automatically click "Yes" before they have visually scanned the check for the check numbers matching as well as checking to see that the payee is correct, the payee's address is correct, the purpose for the check printed on the check is correct, and the amount is correct.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tubaloth

Post by tubaloth »

I know all the checks are wrong. I saw the stubs (which has the real check number and the bad one).

I know 3 checks went to ward members. Another 3 or 4 checks were mailed out for paying bills (fast offering).

I'm guessing there is know way to change the check number in the computer? Should I contact the church some phone number I need to call? I'll have to gather the paper work at the church first.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tubaloth wrote:I know all the checks are wrong. I saw the stubs (which has the real check number and the bad one).

I know 3 checks went to ward members. Another 3 or 4 checks were mailed out for paying bills (fast offering).

I'm guessing there is know way to change the check number in the computer? Should I contact the church some phone number I need to call? I'll have to gather the paper work at the church first.
The check number recorded in MLS cannot be changed - at least you can't at the local level. Send a message through MLS to the finance department. I would also call LUS and give them a heads up as to the situation. They may have some instructions for you to follow.

Contact the three ward members to find out the status of their checks. If they haven't cashed them then ask them to return them for a replacement check. Also contact the check payees for the fast offering checks to see if they still have the checks. If so ask if you can send them a replacement check.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tubaloth wrote:I know all the checks are wrong.
As others have suggested, I would try to recover the checks and issue correct ones. This will cause you to void the bad check numbers and issue new (correct) checks.

For checks you cannot recover, I would wait to see if they clear. When this happened to us, we voided the old check number and reissued the expense under the correct check number in MLS. At that point, MLS matched the printed (by the bank, not MLS) number on the check.

We coordinated this with Local Unit Support.

This happened quite some time ago, so procedures may have changed. LUS will let you know how to handle it today.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”