combining old accounts

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
MGurley

combining old accounts

Post by MGurley »

I would like to combine a couple of other accounts and need some advice. For several years my current ward has collected money to help with temple trips for those members that cannot afford to attend regularly. We used to be several hours away from our temple and the stake and/or ward would hire a bus company for the trip. And in addition to that, our temple started a local apartment for temple ordinance workers to stay in for up to a week while serving in the temple. Fast forward to today, we are only 2 hours from our temple and we longer hire buses and we don't rent vehicles for members to drive. We have several hundred dollars in two different accounts and in a budget category. We use the money now to reimburse mileage for youth temple trips and assistance for mileage for members and temple ordinance workers. Our ward would like to combine all of these different accounts into one budget account and make the others inactive and to eventually drop off. What is the best way to accomplish this and is there any hindrances or sticking points that we should consider. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: combining old accounts

Post by russellhltn »

Just to be clear, we're only talking about accounts in "Budget" and none in the "Other" area? I'm puzzled by the statement "collected money", since if collected from members, that would tend to imply "Other".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

MGurley wrote:We have several hundred dollars in two different accounts and in a budget category. We use the money now to reimburse mileage for youth temple trips and assistance for mileage for members and temple ordinance workers. Our ward would like to combine all of these different accounts into one budget account and make the others inactive and to eventually drop off.
Based on what you have said, I would combine the two other accounts and use them first until their balance is zero. Then I would begin using the budget account.

If you have paid expenses from ward budget that might have been paid from the other account, you might change the category on those expenses from budget to other to use up the other account(s) more quickly.
MGurley

Post by MGurley »

Thanks for your input.

Yes, we did collect money for the Temple trips and yes they have been put into an other account labeled 'other: Authorized Member-Financed Activities: (either temple bus or ordinance worker assistance). But since neither of those monies are necessary for our current needs (temple is only 2 hours away) we would like to get rid of these accounts the easiest way, or at least the way the church wants us to.

We could use up the money from the other accounts, but at this rate it will take an inordinate amount of time. We were hoping that the 'other' accounts could be cleared up sooner. But, again, if that is the best way, we will do that. We will not do any reimbursements from the budget category until the 'other' accounts are zeroed out. Reimbursing the individuals that gave would be almost impossible. It covers several years and even a couple of boundary changes.

Again thanks for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to read The “Other” Category. I'm not sure what the current policy is, but it used to be that any funds left over and could not be applied to the intended purpose and could not be refunded, were to be sent to CHQ. You might want to contact support and see what they have to say about your particular situation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:. . . it used to be that any funds left over and could not be applied to the intended purpose and could not be refunded, were to be sent to CHQ.
This is still the policy. In this case, however, I think the bishop still believes the intended purpose of the funds is being met because they are still being used for transportation to the temple.

The issue here, I think, is that it is not proper to transfer collected Other funds to the Budget category. So the only other way I see to do it is to use the Other funds first, then switch to Budget.

There is another possibility. If disbursements have been made from the Budget category, you would be able to change the category of those expenses from Budget to Other. This would use up the funds in the Other category first. But if there are not Budget disbursements to recategorize, I would just pay approved expenses from Other until that fund was at zero, and then switch to Budget.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:This is still the policy.
I don't doubt it, but I wasn't having much luck in finding a reference.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:This is still the policy.
I don't doubt it, but I wasn't having much luck in finding a reference.
Current policy is actually in The "Other" Category article link you posted.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Current policy is actually in The "Other" Category article link you posted.
Where? I read that before I posted it, but I didn't see it spelled out as "use it for it's purpose, refund it, or send it to CHQ".

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:Current policy is actually in The "Other" Category article link you posted.
Where? I read that before I posted it, but I didn't see it spelled out as "use it for it's purpose, refund it, or send it to CHQ".
Use it for its purpose:
What Clerks Should Know, first bullet, first sentence.

Refund it or send it to Corporation of the President:
Discussion, third comment, Response from FRD Support.

You're welcome.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”