Purchasing music for youth dances

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Re: Purchasing music for youth dances

Post by kisaac »

Did I mention "can of worms?"
I'm no lawyer, but I personally would feel very comfortable asking a ward member to come and play their music collection for a church dance, providing the Handbook principles for youth dances are followed, just as if you hired a DJ.
I see little difference between the ward members attending a "wedding" reception in the gym while he plays his collection, or those same members attending a "youth dance" in the gym while he plays it. Move that same "seminary graduation dance" outside of the church gym to the main street plaza or city park, and maybe you need some further discussion with a professional DJ to make sure you do it right.

Bringing this back to the OP question: I would feel uncomfortable purchasing music on Itunes (or any "download" account) that you might say will be "owned" by a church unit for those dances
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Purchasing music for youth dances

Post by russellhltn »

kisaac wrote:I see little difference between the ward members attending a "wedding" reception in the gym while he plays his collection, or those same members attending a "youth dance" in the gym while he plays it.
Weddings are typically limited to the social network of the bride and groom. And the gathering has to do with the event itself. Church dances tend to be a wider group of people and music is central to the reason they are gathering there.

While the link that sbradshaw provided is from a company in the business of granting license, it does make a case that a youth gathering does need a license.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”