Missionary Donation Deficit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Missionary Donation Deficit

Post by aebrown »

johnshaw wrote:The general missionary fund is used OUTSIDE the area where ward missionary funds are used. When a ward has excessive ward missionary monies, they send to the stake, they stake then sends to the church and that money is converted to the general fund.
I once had a discussion with someone in the Church Finance Department, and they said that the last part of your statement is incorrect. The Church handles surplus Ward Missionary funds differently from General Missionary Funds. If they were equivalent, then stakes or wards could simply deposit surplus Ward Missionary funds into the General Missionary fund, and there would be no need for the Church to be involved. Yet stakes are given specific instructions as to what to do with surplus Ward Missionary funds. I don't know if some of those surplus funds might make it into the General Missionary fund eventually, but it's not as simple as you stated.
johnshaw wrote:BTW, do I think this will ever happen? No, of course not, we're too invested in seeing this as a mission funded by an individual and family, its in our mythos, it's part of our culture, and we have a way to 'obfuscate' it for tax benefits, so that's nice...
You make some excellent points. But I would note that the notion that a mission is funded by an individual and family is not just in "our mythos" -- each missionary application specifically asks about the Source of Funds, and the applicant is required to "indicate how much money will be contributed per month in support of your mission from [Self, Family, Ward/Branch, Other]." I've always found that wording to be at odds with my understanding (which matches yours) that the obligation is fundamentally the ward's. But given that these funding commitments were made at the time of the missionary application, it makes sense that it is helpful to provide reports along the way to those making the commitments, and we can only do that if we track those donations and expenses per missionary.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:each missionary application specifically asks about the Source of Funds, and the applicant is required to "indicate how much money will be contributed per month in support of your mission from [Self, Family, Ward/Branch, Other]." I've always found that wording to be at odds with my understanding (which matches yours) that the obligation is fundamentally the ward's.
I think that's just financial planning - making sure that donations are lined up to cover the cost. Just making an announcement over the pulpit and hoping enough will show up has a high chance of failure. If the family will cover it, then the search for commitments stops there. Having been in a YSA/Student ward, I've seen cases involving converts where the stake payed for it.

So I'd say that fundamentally it is the ward's - it's just that most of the time the family will step up and cover it so we don't see the ward at work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

johnshaw wrote:The general missionary fund is used OUTSIDE the area where ward missionary funds are used. When a ward has excessive ward missionary monies, they send to the stake, they stake then sends to the church and that money is converted to the general fund. The General fund pays to send missionaries that serve in areas where the budget allocation system isn't in play.... (mostly outside the western world)
While the church doesn't release detailed information, there is anecdotal evidence that the money collected from all of the wards just isn't enough to support the missionaries worldwide. When the missionary age was lowered to 18 for men and 19 for women, we immediately heard stories about how other church budgets (not directly related to the missionary program) were slashed. I suppose this only testifies of the complexity of the missionary program. More missionaries means more mission offices, more missionary cars, etc. that are probably not a part of what's covered by ward missionary funds taken by CHQ. It might have seemed (to some) that increasing the ward mission funds in direct proportion to increasing the number of missionaries would be sufficient to support the missionary efforts of the church, and it's clear that this is not the case.

My point? We're kidding ourselves when we think that the $400 we donate each month to the ward is covering the cost of our family member's mission. It's simply the price of participation for the missionary which, one way or another, is provided by ward members (which are usually from the same families as the missionaries).

…unless you shouldn't trust the anecdotal evidence.
ShipesRA

Post by ShipesRA »

I have been notified by the Stake that we have 2 returned missionaries (many years ago) whose names no longer appear on the Ward Missionary rolls that show a deficit. The Ward can pay the balance do, but how do we transfer the funds to the Stake? The drop down for the Stake only list Ward Missionary Fund. Is this what we use to transfer the funds to the Stake or is there something else we would do?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ShipesRA wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:30 pm I have been notified by the Stake that we have 2 returned missionaries (many years ago) whose names no longer appear on the Ward Missionary rolls that show a deficit.
I'm assuming by "missionary rolls" you're referring to the sub-account under Ward Missionary.

I'd question the stake on that. It's my understanding that a missionary sub-account with a non-zero any balance will remain indefinitely. Long past the time the missionaries returned. Were these ever being supported by the ward?

Note that the unit that ended with financial responsibility for the missionary isn't always the same as where the membership was/or is now, or where they left from. Or who had responsibility at the beginning of the mission. As such, it's possible that the account is with some other unit. Perhaps there's been a mix-up that routed the notice to your unit. Then again, perhaps they're asking your unit to discuss the situation with the parents and/or missionary.

Bottom line, if it was me, I'd call the stake clerk and have a chat.

But, if you still have that sub-account, then I'd transfer money from the top-level Ward Missionary account to that sub-account to zero it out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

ShipesRA wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:30 pm I have been notified by the Stake that we have 2 returned missionaries (many years ago) whose names no longer appear on the Ward Missionary rolls that show a deficit. The Ward can pay the balance do, but how do we transfer the funds to the Stake? The drop down for the Stake only list Ward Missionary Fund. Is this what we use to transfer the funds to the Stake or is there something else we would do?
This sounds like it might be the same as reported in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=39490

If so, then it may be a bug in LCR rather than an actual problem.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

eblood66 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:14 am
ShipesRA wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:30 pm I have been notified by the Stake that we have 2 returned missionaries (many years ago) whose names no longer appear on the Ward Missionary rolls that show a deficit. The Ward can pay the balance do, but how do we transfer the funds to the Stake? The drop down for the Stake only list Ward Missionary Fund. Is this what we use to transfer the funds to the Stake or is there something else we would do?
This sounds like it might be the same as reported in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=39490

If so, then it may be a bug in LCR rather than an actual problem.
I’ve just reported this to the GSC and they said that a few others are reporting similar issues!
tinkhammom

Post by tinkhammom »

This is a bug in the Church systems.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

There always have been and probably always will be bugs. Unfortunately, some of the recent ones are effecting important systems which have worked right in the past.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”