Donor Advised Fund Donation recording

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
juan_hijo

Donor Advised Fund Donation recording

Post by juan_hijo »

What is the best way for members donating through a donor advised fund (i.e. Charitable Gift Fund) to have their donations recorded at the local unit?

Normally the donor advised fund sends the check directly to church headquarters. Church headquarters can be hit or miss recording the donation even when the member provides detailed information for themselves and the unit (i.e. member record number, unit and stake numbers, etc.)

Some members may feel awkward heading into a tithing settlement knowing they have paid their tithing but the unit has no record.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Shane Johnson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Donor Advised Fund Donation recording

Post by russellhltn »

Assuming we're talking about the US, currently that would be cutting a check and sending to the member to turn in with a donation slip.

Or, if the fund will fill out the donation slip, they can mail it and the check to the bishop.

On-line via EFT is coming, but not quite here yet. But I don't think that's going to be available for a third-party (the fund) to do.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”