Negative Balance in Other Category and Missing Data

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cbradford

Negative Balance in Other Category and Missing Data

Post by cbradford »

I recently conducted an audit of a unit, and there was an exception due to a negative balance in the Other category. It appears to be due to missing data during most of 2011. I'm not sure why this wasn't resolved in previous audits. Anyway, can anyone provide guidance for this? Can headquarters restore the missing data that far back? Will the unit have to resolve this by transferring funds from their budget? Any advice would be appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Negative Balance in Other Category and Missing Data

Post by russellhltn »

A few people have reported balances changed in the year-end process as the 2011 data is purged. It was probably fine 45 days ago, which is why the prior audits didn't see this.

I'd have them call Local Unit Support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

you could restore the data back from 45 days ago and see what's there
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:you could restore the data back from 45 days ago and see what's there
IIRC, a restore locks out the finance section until a send/receive is done. And I'm not sure how far you'd get before MLS insisted on doing a year-end close out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I'd restore it to another machine that didn't have the internet connected but you're right about the year end.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cbradford wrote:I recently conducted an audit of a unit, and there was an exception due to a negative balance in the Other category. It appears to be due to missing data during most of 2011. I'm not sure why this wasn't resolved in previous audits. Anyway, can anyone provide guidance for this? Can headquarters restore the missing data that far back? Will the unit have to resolve this by transferring funds from their budget? Any advice would be appreciated.
It was a bug in the year-end closeout, where data prior to the financial retention period was dropped. Unfortunately, it appears that a piece of the data was a programming "fix" to resolve some issues when CUBS was implemented.

I think I read that an MLS update will fix the problem, but I can't put my finger on that topic right now.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I think I read that an MLS update will fix the problem, but I can't put my finger on that topic right now.
I don't recall seeing anything specific about an MLS update fixing this particular problem.
  • A similar problem was reported in 2014 Year End close corrupts Other Account, but that issue was not resolved (except that scgallafent recommended that the reporter should call the Global Service Center).
  • For the Fast offering expense without recipient Msg issue, it was specifically noted that MLS 3.7.4 would fix the problem. That's similar, in that it relates to how the year-end process handled balances forward from 2011, but it was only really talking about the fast offering category, not the Other category.
It's conceivable that the fix to MLS 3.7.4 might have addressed the problem with the Other account, but I think most units should be on 3.7.4 already, so I'm guessing that this recently reported problem is still an issue even with 3.7.4.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:
lajackson wrote:I think I read that an MLS update will fix the problem, but I can't put my finger on that topic right now.
I don't recall seeing anything specific about an MLS update fixing this particular problem.
That's the one. And so you are right, the call to GSC is the way to go for the Other Account problems. (And definitely do not rely on my memory--whatever there is left of it.)
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Sync files should have been sent to all units to fix the issue where accounts are out of balance. If you're still experiencing a problem, you need to call the Global Service Center.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”