Prior Year expense in Other needs to be moved

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tomjensen581

Prior Year expense in Other needs to be moved

Post by tomjensen581 »

There's an expense sitting in our Other category that's been sitting there since 2011. It needs to be moved to the Book of Mormon line. Since it's a prior year, I am unable to go back to the expense and simply move it to a different category. How do I go about moving this expense?

Tom
eblood66

Re: Prior Year expense in Other needs to be moved

Post by eblood66 »

tomjensen581 wrote:There's an expense sitting in our Other category that's been sitting there since 2011. It needs to be moved to the Book of Mormon line. Since it's a prior year, I am unable to go back to the expense and simply move it to a different category.
If the expense was in 2011 then it should still be in MLS. If so, then yes you can find it and just change the category. That will create what is essentially a transfer from the Other category to the Book of Mormon category that has an effective date of when you change the category. That's the best way of handling this because it ties the transfer to the specific transaction that needed to be corrected.

However, if the expense was actually in 2010 or before then it won't be in MLS any longer. In that case I think you should be able to create a transfer using Finance > Enter Transfers. There was a time when you couldn't transfer between major categories but I'm pretty sure you can now.

But if the transfer doesn't work then you have to write a check from the Other category and then include it as a donation to the Book of Mormon category. If you have to do this you should write an explanation to include with the check paperwork for the records.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomjensen581 wrote:There's an expense sitting in our Other category that's been sitting there since 2011. It needs to be moved to the Book of Mormon line. Since it's a prior year, I am unable to go back to the expense and simply move it to a different category. How do I go about moving this expense?
I'm a little puzzled by the word "expense". If this is a negative balance, then you can't move it to Book of Mormon. That's strictly for donations. You can't remove money from that.

But if it's a "credit", or a positive amount, then I'm sure there's a way to do it - but it might require cutting a check and depositing it like a donation. But if this was a case of a donation that went astray, then the preferred way is to go back and edit the donation so it's deposited in the right accounts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tomjensen581

Post by tomjensen581 »

I apologize, it was indeed a donation in 2011, and is still in MLS. However, when I try to go update the donation to move the donation out of the "other" category it's currently sitting in and move to the BoM line, the fields are grayed out and locked and I am unable to do anything with the old donation. I tried the Finance > Transfer route and the only available categories I have to transfer amounts to are the various "other" accounts our ward maintains. Looks like I'll need to go the check route. Thanks.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”