members that move our and their tithing records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: members that move our and their tithing records

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:See Annual Charitable Cash Contributions Official Tax Summary Statement for further information.
It's interesting to see that this aggregate statement is not signed. So are we to conclude that if a member receives one of those statements (which is only generated for members who donate to more than one unit in the United States), the clerk doesn't need to give them the Tax-Valid Statement for the donations to their current ward? That isn't spelled out, but seems to be implied. If so, the bishop would potentially have fewer statements to sign (and I would need to amend a couple of my earlier posts).
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Color me confused. In the link above, it says:

This statement provides one statement for the donor regardless of where the donation was made. In the past, donors would have to obtain a tax-valid donation statement from each unit to which he or she donated.

Does that mean I don't need to do statements for those who were moved to the split off ward?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:Does that mean I don't need to do statements for those who were moved to the split off ward?
I don't know. The original article says we have to distribute a signed Tax-Valid Statement to every donor, but for donors who receive an ACCCOTSS, that seems redundant. However, as bishop of the ward that the members were moved out of, you have no way of being certain that members will receive an ACCCOTSS, since you don't know if they made donations to their new ward (the ACCCOTSS is only generated for members who donate to more than one unit). That makes it a bit tricky, although I suppose you could give the bishop of the ward those members now live in a list of the donors you suspect might receive an ACCCOTSS, and he could let you know if any of them did not make a donation in his ward; you'd only have to generate a Tax-Valid Statement for that much smaller set of members.

I posted a question on the Help Center article asking for clarification.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Seems to me the solution is to just make it so everyone gets an ACCCOTSS regardless of if they donated to one ward or several wards...

But what do I know?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”