How to retrieve funds transfer from other ward (same stake)

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
davidrobin

How to retrieve funds transfer from other ward (same stake)

Post by davidrobin »

So another ward in our stake has transferred an amount to our ward. This is to cover costs for joint ward activities.
They have transferred the amount in to the Budget:Budget Allocation category. I can see the transfer when I View Transfers.
Also when I look at a detail Budget Report for the Budget Allocations category I can see the transfer, with the transfer reference, dates, comment, amount etc.
I would have thought it would have shown up as a Miscellaneous on the View/Edit Budget screen but it does not.

How do I get the money into our budget so I can use if for expenses.
drepouille

Re: How to retrieve funds transfer from other ward (same sta

Post by drepouille »

Can you transfer the funds to the correct category?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davidrobin

Post by davidrobin »

drepouille wrote:Can you transfer the funds to the correct category?
Actually I don't know, because I have not tried, and I have not tried because I do not know if that I what I should do. I have not dealt with transfers before.

When I look at the Detail Budget Report for the Budget Allocations category I can see the transfer of x amount.
But when I look at the Summary Budget Report for the Budget Allocations category the balance is 0.
I am looking for evidence that the funds are somewhere but I find the evidence is conflicting.

Going back to the question from drepouille. In this situation is the normal process to transfer from (for example) "My Ward - Budget Allocation" to "My Ward - Administration" and until I do that they are not available for use?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

davidrobin wrote:When I look at the Detail Budget Report for the Budget Allocations category I can see the transfer of x amount.
But when I look at the Summary Budget Report for the Budget Allocations category the balance is 0.
A Budget Allocations deposit/transfer-in will show in the overall unit budget amount. It will be an increase in your unit budget. Budget Allocations is a unique category that does not retain a balance. The Budget Allocation transfer-in is also viewable on the View/Edit Budget screen. On that screen you will see an amount equal to the transfer in the Miscellaneous line. It may be the Other line. I am not sure since I am not looking in MLS as I write. But it will be an additional amount other than the quarterly amounts received/estimated.

Additionally, if your unit budget allocation was 100% allocated prior to the transfer you would have noted the Difference amount immediately to the right of Budget Allocation amount at the bottom of the View/Edit Budget screen to be $0.00 before the transfer. Since you may not have reallocated the transfer, the Difference amount at the bottom of the View Edit screen should now be the same as the amount transferred in.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davidrobin

Post by davidrobin »

Everything you said is what I expect to happen, however
The Budget Allocation transfer-in is also viewable on the View/Edit Budget screen. On that screen you will see an amount equal to the transfer in the Miscellaneous line
This is not the case, there is not a Miscellaneous line of the transfer amount.
Since you may not have reallocated the transfer, the Difference amount at the bottom of the View Edit screen should now be the same as the amount transferred in
Also this is not the case, the Difference is as it was £2.76 or thereabouts, it does not include the amount the other ward transferred.

However there is something about the way jdlessley explanation that makes me wonder if there is something I still need to do (which brings me back to my original question).
So far all that has happened is another ward has performed a transfer to my ward. You talk of a transfer-in, is there something I need to do (e.g. actually perform a transfer) to bring the money in to the ward budget so it is useable?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davidrobin wrote:However there is something about the way jdlessley explanation that makes me wonder if there is something I still need to do (which brings me back to my original question).
So far all that has happened is another ward has performed a transfer to my ward. You talk of a transfer-in, is there something I need to do (e.g. actually perform a transfer) to bring the money in to the ward budget so it is useable?
Yes. This is all new to us, as well. As I understand it, a transfer into your unit will come in at the top level, either Budget or Other, because the sending unit does not know how your sub-accounts have been established. As the recipient, you then need to transfer the money to the proper sub-account to get it where you need to have it.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”