Processing Donations in Shared Clerks' Office

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
guycolbyiv

Processing Donations in Shared Clerks' Office

Postby guycolbyiv » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:53 pm

One of the buildings in our stake has a large single clerks' office which is shared by three different units, each with its own computer. The question has arisen as to whether it is permissible for more than one unit to process Sunday donations in that office at the same time. One of the clerks has some concerns about maintaining confidentiality, but I can find no prohibition against this practice in the Handbook or in the online training. Is there any documentable Church policy on this matter?

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Processing Donations in Shared Clerks' Office

Postby jdlessley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:50 pm

See Handbook 1: Stake Presidents and Bishops, 14.5. The second sentence in the first paragraph addresses the confidentiallity of the tithes and offerings. It is not practical to expect or maintain confidentiality of contributions with anyone other than those authorized to handle such contributions present in the room while donations are processed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

sbradshaw

Re: Processing Donations in Shared Clerks' Office

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:54 pm

My thoughts are that it is possible to maintain confidentiality even in a shared room. However, names and amounts shouldn't be spoken out loud in the process while others can hear, and I'd think each ward should have their own corner or section of the room.

I was in a stake with 11 wards, all sharing the same clerks' office (6 computers, plus the stake computer). It's not so much the location and proximity that matters, but the privacy. In some situations it was very helpful to have multiple wards in the same room – they could answer each others' questions.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”