Donation to Ward for an Individual

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Pilotfly wrote:I have often wondered about the statement that anything put into the "other" account is not tax deductible.
With the caveat that I am not an IRS agent, I believe the situation you describe would be a valid US tax deduction if the member itemizes deductions on Schedule A.

In general, in Church financial circles, we say that anything in the Other category is not tax deductible. This is not correct. Most things in the Other category will appear on the donor statement as non charitable contributions.

However, donations to specific other categories, such as the Temple Construction funds, Humanitarian Aid, and the Perpetual Education Fund will show up on donor statements as Charitable contributions, even though they are in the other category.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:With the caveat that I am not an IRS agent, I believe the situation you describe would be a valid US tax deduction if the member itemizes deductions on Schedule A.
Agreed. I'm also not a IRS agent or tax lawyer, but U.S. members wanting to take a tax write-off on donations made to "other" should read page 8 of Instructions for Schedule A.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”