Entering Missionaries Names in MLS for Tithing

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
murraydavidgeorge2

Entering Missionaries Names in MLS for Tithing

Post by murraydavidgeorge2 »

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I could not find and mention of this in previous posts.

Is there a correct way to enter a missionaries name and info into MLS when they pay tithing? It seems like every previous clerk did it their own way. I've never received any feed back from Salt Lake that I am doing it wrong, but I was wonder if there is a set way we should be doing it? Thanks...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Entering Missionaries Names in MLS for Tithing

Post by lajackson »

murraydavidgeorge2 wrote:Is there a correct way to enter a missionaries name and info into MLS when they pay tithing?
If the missionary is a member of your ward, you would enter them as any other member. If the missionary is a member of another ward, you would enter them as a member of another unit.

Normally a missionary should pay tithing in their home unit.

Often a missionary will pay fast offering in the unit where the missionary is currently serving, and you would just add their name as a donor and process the donation as you would any other from someone who is not a member of your unit.
benjamincarleski

Post by benjamincarleski »

The only problem I regularly encounter is when they only put Elder X or Sister X instead of their full name. Then we have to either track them down to get their full name, or put it in as they have written it.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Post by pgm44 »

We, in our ward enter their full name including their membershipnumber as soon they are in our ward but as a member from another ward. They pay only their Fastoffering here.
"Missionary name....membershipnumber"
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

pgm44 wrote:We, in our ward enter their full name including their membershipnumber as soon they are in our ward but as a member from another ward. They pay only their Fastoffering here.
"Missionary name....membershipnumber"
Do you enter their MR number as part of the name? I would not have thought to do that, and here we do not yet have a field to enter the MR number in MLS.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Post by pgm44 »

I write the MR number in the same line as their name

Sample " pgm44 123456780"

Return to “Local Unit Finance”