Paying Out of Pocket (Scout Leaders)

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
alcor2

Paying Out of Pocket (Scout Leaders)

Post by alcor2 »

I've done some searching, but can't find this topic listed anywhere. Sorry if it is duplicative.
What expenses are Scout Leaders expected to pay out of pocket?

In previous wards, I had never heard of scout leaders being asked to pay out of pocket for activities such as fees for scout camps, required trainings, BSA manuals, etc., but recently, the topic has been one met with varying opinions.

Handbook 2 13.2.8 (https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2 ... ng=eng#132) talks about how if there are insufficient ward funds "leaders may ask participants to pay ...", but it doesn't really address whether the actual leader is required to pay or not.

How does your ward handle required scout leader expenses like mentioned above?
Any official guidance on this from the church I'm not seeing?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Paying Out of Pocket (Scout Leaders)

Post by russellhltn »

If you have access to Handbook 1, check 14.7.2 under "General Principles and Guidelines" as it talks about reducing the burden on members. Personally, I think it's against the spirit of the program if leaders have to pay out of their own pockets to be leaders.

On the other hand, I don't think you want to get into the situation where anyone who can be called a leader gets free camp. Especially if their presence is not necessary.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Paying Out of Pocket (Scout Leaders)

Post by aebrown »

alcor2 wrote:In previous wards, I had never heard of scout leaders being asked to pay out of pocket for activities such as fees for scout camps, required trainings, BSA manuals, etc., but recently, the topic has been one met with varying opinions.

Handbook 2 13.2.8 (https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2 ... ng=eng#132) talks about how if there are insufficient ward funds "leaders may ask participants to pay ...", but it doesn't really address whether the actual leader is required to pay or not.
As I read it, that Handbook section is very clear on the fact that actual leaders are not required to pay. It says:

"Stake and ward budget funds should be used to pay for all activities, programs, and supplies. Members should not pay fees to participate. Nor should they provide materials, supplies, rental or admission fees, or long-distance transportation at their own expense."

So there is really no question at all, except for the possible exception of one annual camp. That only applies if Budget funds are insufficient. Then I suppose the question is whether the term "participants" includes leaders. In every ward or stake I've been in, the term "participant" has not included leaders.

Personal camp equipment, uniforms, etc., would be the responsibility of the leaders as well as the scouts. But uniforms (although "encouraged") are optional, according to the Scouting Handbook, section 8.14.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”