Missionary Accounts

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
waynecooke

Re: Missionary Accounts

Post by waynecooke »

Another question. I have been on the Wiki, reading about Missionary Accounts, and came up with this instruction:

"Contributions to the ward missionary fund that have not been used when a missionary is released should be kept in the ward missionary fund and used as needed. Never refund missionary contributions to a donor."

The fact that the funds cannot be refunded is consistent with the policy with all donated funds. However, I was under the impression, that in that kind of situation, the funds could be transferred to any "Tax deductible" category. I have not had that situation come up, but was I in error in my understanding?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I believe there is latitude for you to reopen the donation batch and reclassify recent donations as tithing, rather than donations to a particular missionary account.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

waynecooke wrote:Another question. I have been on the Wiki, reading about Missionary Accounts, and came up with this instruction:

"Contributions to the ward missionary fund that have not been used when a missionary is released should be kept in the ward missionary fund and used as needed. Never refund missionary contributions to a donor."

The fact that the funds cannot be refunded is consistent with the policy with all donated funds. However, I was under the impression, that in that kind of situation, the funds could be transferred to any "Tax deductible" category. I have not had that situation come up, but was I in error in my understanding?
I had this happen with some of our senor couples. All we did was discuss with them the options and let them decide. Its really easy to do. You just change the donation to another category. Make sure you change the paper copy of the donation slip as well.
benjamincarleski

Post by benjamincarleski »

We had this happen with a senior couple in our ward recently as well. He requested transferring the excess funds to the mission accounts of a few grandchildren that were out right now. We checked with SLC and they said such a transfer would be fine so we cut checks to three other wards out of his WMF account.
alishaburt

Post by alishaburt »

Where can I go to view my missionary's account balance? I've used the search engine and read the FAQs but don't see that anywhere.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

alishaburt wrote:Where can I go to view my missionary's account balance? I've used the search engine and read the FAQs but don't see that anywhere.
There is no way to do that online. You need to ask your ward clerk. That's the only way to get your balance.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”