Funeral expenses paid by ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Michael_Newman

Re: Funeral expenses paid by ward

Post by Michael_Newman »

Gary_Miller wrote:I think it important to remember that the immediate family of the deceased should be taking on much of this responsibility if arrangements were not made ahead of time by the deceased. Of times there is life insurance and other way for family members to pay these expenses. The Bishop working with the family should be able to determine these needs. Its not simply the deceased do not have the funds so the church should pay the expenses. Many times they have children who and should be expected to help with expenses.
Absolutely. My question is more geared to the deceased having no immediate family except their elderly spouse, no insurance because they have been living on an extremely small social security income ($600 to $900/mo), a very small savings account ($200 to $500 that could go toward the entire funeral), tithe payers, temple worthy, active in church with callings, and known to the bishop for their small financial income. Although I estimated their burial costs may be $3200.00, it could very well be double that amount.

When I visited Salt Lake City a few years ago, the ward that struck me the most was nearly 95% all elderly living on a minimal social security income, with subsidized housing, state food benefits, Medicare, and all. The bishop of such a ward must surely be challenged with above-normal funerals per year. On the other hand, I suspect many elderly living throughout the country may have a severe depression worrying about what will happen to themselves if deceased, or what will happen when their spouse becomes deceased.

If the guidelines permit the bishop, on an individual basis, to pay for the modest burial and funeral costs, then that would be an encouraged and hopeful thought for them to meet with their bishop in advance of their death to determine what else they can do to save for the eventual event, no matter how small their savings may be.

There is a segment in the church who live on a surprising low income, but are only able to save $5 a month.

Your experiences may serve to add hope to those who may lack it.

Thanks,
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

No policy can cover every possible situation, but the Spirit can. The bishop has the mantel and a Stake President to reach out to for advise and guidance. It's a wonderful process. Hopefully the Bishop is reaching out to any who may be depressed about their financial situation through ward leaders and home/visiting teachers. There is help and hope.
ham9

Post by ham9 »

See Handbook 2, 18.6

I noticed that there was one comment that said that fast offerings could not be used to help in funeral expenses. Here is what the manual says:

18.6.7 Financial Policies

Church members who conduct or take part in funeral services should not accept fees or contributions, whether the service is for a member or a nonmember.

In some cases, bishops can arrange with morticians to provide respectable burial services at cost when expenses are paid from fast-offering funds.
veronicaluna

Post by veronicaluna »

I am a newly called a relief Society president. I have my first funeral coming up next week. I cannot find anywhere in the handbook that says that the lunch that is provided for the family comes from Ward budget. Is that just a tradition but not really in the handbook? there’s been some conversation about what part actually comes from the Ward budget, some say flowers, some say not. Some say all the food. But bishop said that in the past we just have a sign up and members sign up to bring the food. I’m looking for official policy not what other traditions are. Much appreciated. Thank you
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

veronicaluna wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:51 pm I am a newly called a relief Society president. I have my first funeral coming up next week. I cannot find anywhere in the handbook that says that the lunch that is provided for the family comes from Ward budget. Is that just a tradition but not really in the handbook? there’s been some conversation about what part actually comes from the Ward budget, some say flowers, some say not. Some say all the food. But bishop said that in the past we just have a sign up and members sign up to bring the food. I’m looking for official policy not what other traditions are. Much appreciated. Thank you
I think you're solidly in the "tradition" area. General Handbook 29.5 covers funerals. The closest I get is "ward members could" "Prepare meals". It's unclear if that's for the funeral or for the grieving family. It's placement makes me think it's the latter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

veronicaluna wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:51 pm I’m looking for official policy not what other traditions are.
In all my years, I have never seen anything in the Handbook or elsewhere that provides official policy on a luncheon after a funeral. Some wards do it potluck. Some ask the Relief Society to make food assignments and otherwise take care of the luncheon. Some do not do anything and make sure that the family has plenty to eat at home.

Everywhere I have lived the meal is for close family members or those who have traveled a great distance to attend the funeral. It is not a ward social with food provided. If the food is potluck, the members who bring it usually provide the food at their own expense. Some families may be asked to bring something and are not in a position to afford it. I have usually seen the ward budget reimburse them for these costs. When the meal is provided as a Church assignment, it is usually covered by the budget.

Ultimately, the bishop gets to decide how Church funds are used. Church members should not be asked to do anything they cannot afford to do. It seems your bishop has encouraged the sign-up/potluck approach to the meal.

No matter how it is done, I believe in keeping it simple.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”