Subcategory questions.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Subcategory questions.

Post by pgm44 »

Hello,

Who can give me step by step answers to solve the following problems in our ward finance. I go in MLS to categories and open subcatogories. If I click a subcategorie then in the information field appear the word "active" if I then click on it I get one of the three following messages.

---This subcategory has a balance of
-P41,421.08
but no current year activity.
Do you want to inactivate the subcategory?

---The category has one or more non-zero balances and
cannot be made inactive until all balances are zero.
Balance(s) found:
-P14,933.45

---The category has one or more non-zero balances and
cannot be made inactive until all balances are zero.
Balance(s) found:
P1,600.45

If I ask previous clerks, I got different answers. Thats the reason I post it here and hope we can solve this soon.

Thanks in advance
Gary_Miller

Re: Subcategory questions.

Post by Gary_Miller »

It appears that you want to make these subcategories inactive, however the categories are showing a balance of some kind wither negative or positive.

You cannot change the category from active to inactive it there is a balance.

You will need to fix the balance problem before you can make the category inactive.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Subcategory questions.

Post by aebrown »

The way you bring subcategory balances to zero will vary depending on what the parent category is.
  • For Ward Missionary, you make sure that all payments on a missionary's behalf have been made, then you transfer money from the parent Ward Missionary category to the subcategory to clear a deficit (or vice versa for a surplus).
  • For Other, you need to research why the subcategory has a nonzero balance. Once clerical issues have been handled, surpluses may need to be returned to the donors, or sent to Church headquarters.
  • For Budget, bringing balances to zero may involve recategorization of some expenses, or a transfer to or from different subcategories as directed by the bishop.
But the basic process is to bring the subcategory balance to zero so that you can deactivate the subcategory, then it won't show up on most reports and entry screens. The category will then be deleted at the end of the financial record retention period.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”