Ward Missionary Summary

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jonstrom

Ward Missionary Summary

Post by jonstrom »

I noticed on the CUBS that our branch is funding two missionaries who are not in our branch nor does anyone in the branch recognise the names from the last couple years. One of them has a +$ amount while the other is -$3200 which was deducted from our overall Balance. I am fairly new to the Finance statements so I don't fully understand how they all work. Will a branch fund a missionary their entire mission if they start while they are in the branch but their family moves? Or should the expense transfer with the family records? maybe that doesn't even make any sense..I don't know how it all works or what i need to do. Any advice?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ward Missionary Summary

Post by aebrown »

Financial responsibility does not transfer automatically when the parents move to a different ward or branch. The process for changing that responsibility is in the Missionary Finances article on RKATS. Note that the change of responsibility can be made retroactively (depending on what the two bishops/branch presidents work out), which could result in a credit to your ward missionary category.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonstrom wrote:Will a branch fund a missionary their entire mission if they start while they are in the branch but their family moves?
If nothing is done - yes.
jonstrom wrote:Or should the expense transfer with the family records?
Not automatically.

In addition, it's not unusual for the ward that the missionary was in when started their application to be charged and not the parent's home ward. YSA Wards frequently run into that problem.

For more information, try this link and scroll down to "Change in the missionary’s home ward".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Since the stake clerk and the stake president are also required to review those financial statements, I am surprised they allowed the branch to get into this situation. They have access to the Missionary Online Recommendation Systerm as well as the Church Directory of Leaders. They should be able to help you correct these issues.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Local Unit Finance”