Excess Other Account Funds... going back in time

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Excess Other Account Funds... going back in time

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Although all of the untransmitted deposits may have gone to Other, there may also have been some actual Other funds if the branch was collecting for Scout camp, YW camp, or something similar. So I would consider that possibility before I just took all of it away.
Good point. And don't forget that those deposits may have also included ward missionary funds, which should also stay in the branch.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

aebrown wrote:
lajackson wrote:Although all of the untransmitted deposits may have gone to Other, there may also have been some actual Other funds if the branch was collecting for Scout camp, YW camp, or something similar. So I would consider that possibility before I just took all of it away.
Good point. And don't forget that those deposits may have also included ward missionary funds, which should also stay in the branch.
For these reasons its important to figure out where the funds came from and what they were intended for, before just sending them to CHQ. Once the funds are sent you can't get them back.
mschlechter

Post by mschlechter »

Thanks, I have been aware of that possibility and fortunately have the Stake copy of the Financial Audits back ten years still in hand, so I can refer to the Other Account reconciliation on them.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

mschlechter wrote:Thanks, I have been aware of that possibility and fortunately have the Stake copy of the Financial Audits back ten years still in hand, so I can refer to the Other Account reconciliation on them.
This will only work if everything is assigned its own sub-category, as it should be. However, if things are as bad as they sound my bet is the majority of the funds are in the Other Parent category, which will require more in-depth digging.
mschlechter

Post by mschlechter »

It has been considered, funds will be carefully evaluated. In this case the Other has not shown any any Income except for Interest. I do carefully look at all possibilities and do not have the mind set of sweeping it all, except for what is appropriate.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mschlechter wrote:In this case the Other has not shown any any Income except for Interest.
Given the policies, if there has been no income to the Other account in the past 3+ years that MLS has records for, then it would seem the funds have lost their purpose and should be sent to CHQ. Use as a "slush fund" is specifically prohibited. It's clearly not being collected/held for a specific purpose and so much time has passed I doubt if refunds can be made.

To the extent that Ward Missionary funds can be identified, they could be transferred, but given the time frame, I'd say everything else should all go back regardless of the source. If any was for a youth event, the youth have long since aged out of the program.

The detailed research just makes this "loss" easer for the ward leaders to swallow. Just my 2¢.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mschlechter

Post by mschlechter »

I should have clarified, no Income into the root "Other" account, income/expenses have been been recorded in Other subcategories. "IF" the records still exist I will do some detailed breakdown, as I have asked to have all the records/documents (pre 2010) retrieved by the Stake Presidency, who will be visiting the Branch soon.

Your 2¢ is one of the reasons for the detailed research and the original question on this post regarding un-transmitted funds.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”