What are "commercial goods and services?"

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Gary_Miller

Re: What are "commercial goods and services?"

Post by Gary_Miller »

I think the purpose is to not sale items that may compete with other businesses as well as giving out the perception of church endorsement of a specific product or service.
JonBird

Post by JonBird »

Gary_Miller wrote:I think the purpose is to not sale items that may compete with other businesses as well as giving out the perception of church endorsement of a specific product or service.
Do you think the purpose is not to compete with local businesses or not to compete with any business anywhere? For instance, in the metro area I live(non-UT) there are no businesses selling food storage products. So a food storage product could be created and sold in a fundraiser without competing with any local business.

And when you say "compete" do you mean with similar goods or do you mean products of the same "brand?" In other words, do homemade pies compete with bakery pies?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

jonbird wrote:Do you think the purpose is not to compete with local businesses or not to compete with any business anywhere?
Not to compete with any business anywhere.

More importantly I believe the main purpose is to not appear that the church is endorsing any specific product or service.
jonbird wrote:For instance, in the metro area I live(non-UT) there are no businesses selling food storage products. So a food storage product could be created and sold in a fundraiser without competing with any local business.
I think the wording is pretty clear on food storage Items they are not to be sold period.
jonbird wrote:And when you say "compete" do you mean with similar goods or do you mean products of the same "brand?" In other words, do homemade pies compete with bakery pies?
I do not think the selling of homemade pies falls under the not approved listing.

The most important thing to remember with fund raisers is this "If a fund-raising activity is held, it should provide a meaningful value or service. It should be a positive experience that builds unity."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:I do not think the selling of homemade pies falls under the not approved listing.
However, I would be concerned about local laws. They might have to be made in a commercial, inspected kitchen.

I think a couple of concerns I'd have about re-selling is the profit margin. I'm sure much of the sales of the fundraiser will be done to the church members. Having to make a lot of sales to make a few bucks is going to be taxing on the member's wallets. Also, because of the significant up-front costs, the fundraiser could end up being a fund-sink if the needed sales doesn't appear.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Found this in the "Scouting Handbook for Church Units in the United States Revised May 2012" thought it may put some more prospective on this subject.

8.13 Funding Scouting
........ Commercially produced or packaged goods or services should
not be sold.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”