Multiple Check Categories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The instructions in the document "Installing the Church Managed Firewall" has this caution:
CAUTION: Do not order Internet service from any ISP that requires the following:
• Bundled service (combining phone and Internet service on the same line)
• Combined billing (combining the phone and Internet bill on a single customer invoice)
It appears that the second bullet is what is happening.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lesstrawn

Post by lesstrawn »

Regards the "Not corrected by us" box,
I know there isn't any such thing labled on the MLS screen. I'm the guy that used to call you way back when MLS first came out and we had quite a few discussions about the program in 2004.

However, that did, as you thought referred to the category and amount box on the right.
On the MLS screen it did show both: "-other:stake ward telephone and the next line would be
budget:wb-ward.

I am also aware of the hidden lines, but if you use the slider on the right to move from number 1 to the
bottom of the slider guide, and there is nothing there but empty lines and you still get a duplicate category response press OK to merge then that too causes confusion.

I'm going to call support this morning so they can look at the check numbers I'm referring to and see if we can't straighten it out.

Again, all the changes I referred to in the original post involves the MLS screen and not the CUFS.
When I posted this morning it was 4:00 here and although I wasn't loosing any sleep over this problem, I was not sleeping well. And here it is again almost midnight and there will probably not be any visions of sugar plums dancing in my head tonight either.:p
Les
lesstrawn

Post by lesstrawn »

Alan,
When MLS would not let me make the changes in the category and amount box.
I could change categories, I could change the amount
but on two separate check with multiple lines in them which included the -other:stake ward telephone
and budget:wb-ward and amount. When I would delete the extra text and amounts I got the mutliple same fields entry but the press ok to merge would not merge anything and the only active lines were the three that I needed.
and they were budget:wb-ward 1 and amount, budget:wb-ward 2 and amount, budget:wb-ward 3 and amount.
the other lines were empty---all the way to the bottom of the slider, the amount of check which is shown outside the box indicated the correct total for the check so I know there weren't any hidden lines with any amount in them than what I wanted it to be.
Les
lesstrawn

Post by lesstrawn »

The finance clerk swears up and down (figuratively) that he did not make any changes, but he has a pile of paper from someone using the message part of MLS that all those changes were made and I know I didn't make them, and if he didn't make them then somebodies robot mailer made them!
But, I agree with you that 1 you guys don't have the time to audit and change anyones local MLS figures and 2 finance would use the CUFS to make the stake or ward aware of differences.

By the way, when are they going to put the stake reconcilation summary available for local download like the unit summary is?
lesstrawn

Post by lesstrawn »

MLS doesn't know anything about how the ISP bills the units to make the changes, nor does it know if guidelines were followed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lesstrawn wrote:I'm the guy that used to call you way back when MLS first came out and we had quite a few discussions about the program in 2004.
lesstrawn wrote:I agree with you that 1 you guys don't have the time to audit and change anyones local MLS figures and 2 finance would use the CUFS to make the stake or ward aware of differences.

By the way, when are they going to put the stake reconcilation summary available for local download like the unit summary is?

I think you are making an incorrect assumption about my role. I have never talked to you; I do not work for the Church. I am simply an assistant stake clerk with many years of experience working with Church software, computers and finances. I am a forum moderator, and so I try to help people and respond where I can, but I do not make authoritative statements on behalf of the Church.

I have no knowledge of any particular plans the Church may have (although I would like to get the Stake Financial Summary sent electronically as well).

One hint that would improve your future posts: When you respond to a question, or make a comment on another post, it is helpful if you use the Quote button. That way your post will contain the text of the previous quote, as well as a link back to that post. You can edit the quoted material so it is just the portion you want to comment on. But by so doing you will make it clear which question you are answering -- it makes it much easier for people to follow the thread.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lesstrawn wrote:MLS doesn't know anything about how the ISP bills the units to make the changes, nor does it know if guidelines were followed.

It's true that MLS doesn't know about how the ISP bills, but jdlessley and I mentioned the policy because it is important to follow the policy, even if MLS does not enforce it, and it seems (especially after your clarification) that you are getting a combined invoice.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lesstrawn wrote:I'm going to call support this morning so they can look at the check numbers I'm referring to and see if we can't straighten it out.

I know you tried to explain, but I still don't really understand what is happening. So calling Clerk Support sounds like a good idea. Good luck with what sounds like a tricky problem!
LSS-p40

split categories?

Post by LSS-p40 »

lesstrawn wrote:Alan,
Aha, in your quote from the firewall section.
The AT&T invoice has two charges on it.
1 telephone and
2 internet charges
they are separated individually, but one is not included in the other charge other than for the
total charge due.

So they are not bundled together as for example 89.99 for including both with all the tv channels you can get for that 89.99. :)

The bill from AT&T, is it charged directly to your statement, or as I think I'm understanding, you have to write a check to them? If part of the check is for reimbursable Stake and Ward Telephone, and part for the dsl line, you would need to write two checks. If you didn't write two checks, you would want to do that in the future. To resolve this issue, you would have to split the check after it has cleared your CUFS Statement. You would change the original expense to the amount you want from Stake and Ward Telephone, not having any budget categories listed. Then you would create an expense, not a check, using the same date, payee, and the reference number would be the original check number with a -1., ie., check 4358 would be 4358-1....you would then enter the remainder of the check into the sub categories of budget, so the two expenses would equal the original total of the check. Headquarters can split the check, but not until the check has cleared the bank.
If the original expense will not let you change it and get rid of the multiple categories, then you could delete (or void)the expense, and create two expense , not a check, using ref xxxx-1 and xxxx-2, putting the Stake and Ward Telephone on one, and the budget on the other. Since the check has already cleared your statement, voiding it will not create any problems at headquarters.
If I have not stated this correctly and this is not the case, then I apologize. :)

Return to “Local Unit Finance”