Who Signs Checks?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Who Signs Checks?

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:The Handbook or the current training materials for the auditors? Does one take presidence, or do they co-exist?
The Handbook says 1 and 2 may not be auditors.
The training materials say 3 and 4 may not be auditors.
Relying on both sources, 1, 2, 3, and 4 may not audit.

The stake president would like to have 1 or 2 audit. This does not comply with the Handbook. He requests an exception through his proper priesthood leaders. The First Presidency denies his request. Neither 1 nor 2 audit.

The stake president would like to have 3 or 4 audit. This complies with the Handbook but is contrary to other guidance he has received. He consults with his Area Authority. His priesthood leader explains the reason for the counsel in the training and why it ought to be followed.
1. He agrees, and neither 3 nor 4 audit.
or
2. He explains the reason for his request and makes his case. The AA agrees that this is a valid reason. Either 3 or 4 get to audit, perhaps with certain limitations.

In this example, the stake president will arrive at answer 1 when he understands why the additional information has been presented. Or perhaps the additional information is an official announcement of an upcoming change to the Handbook. Either way, with his priesthood leader, he realizes that the additional guidance he has received is wise counsel and merits following under the circumstances.

In this example, the stake president will arrive at answer 2 by understanding the reason for the additional information, and having counseled with his priesthood leader, who also has extensive experience, and working together to arrive at an acceptable solution. Answer 2 may be temporary. Or it may be that answer 2 is an acceptable answer under the proposed decision of the stake president and with counsel from his leader. It may be that his leader has taken the request even higher and received additional counsel and guidance. There are many variables.

But the Handbook and the training materials coexist. The Handbook takes precedence. And while is may be doubtful wisdom in many cases, It is easier to deviate from the training materials than from the Handbook.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:And while is may be doubtful wisdom in many cases, It is easier to deviate from the training materials than from the Handbook.
I'd suggest that it is also easier to get new restrictions added to the training material then to the Handbook. (Just ask anyone who has worked with a Condo Homeowners association about the difference between changing "House Rules" and "Bylaws".)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

If you have access to the Bishop's office when he isn't there. In our ward, as Finance Clerk, I don't.
jasonfitt

Post by jasonfitt »

mbs6 wrote:I appreciate all the responses and suggestions. I like Gary's suggestion, but I worry about leaving printed checks in any location that's not fully in my control. Our clerk's office is shared with two other wards and gets lots of foot traffic. Isn't there a policy which addresses the leaving of checks unattended?
We also share our office with another ward. Both wards have their own metal filing cabinet with a key. Any checks that are waiting to be signed, or waiting to be picked up by the member, are locked in the filing cabinet.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

Just to send this further down the rabbit hole...

When I was first called as a ward clerk, the audits were performed by the high council. It was terrible. Most of the high councilors had never had clerical roles, weren't familiar with auditing procedures, and really didn't know what the expectations of the clerks were.

After the change to CUBS, the stake decided to enlist the help of a few of the more experienced ward clerks and finance clerks to perform the audits. We were never assigned to audit our own wards for obvious reasons. Instead, we were sent to audit other wards, and asked to take a little extra time in wards with new clerks to teach and mentor.

Since changing to this model, the audits have become more efficient, there have been fewer exceptions, and the general consensus has been that the quality of clerical work in the stake has improved dramatically.

At this point, I think that the same thing could be accomplished by former clerks (instead of active clerks), but with the condition that they have experience with CUBS. (In fact, the experience with CUBS I think is why active clerks were chosen at that time).

That may not be much of an epiphany to many stakes, but I just bring it up to say that there can be a certain advantage to having your active clerks performing audits, as long as you're willing to accept the risks that come with that.

Whether or not that's acceptable for the stake to do, well, if there's any question, I'd recommend the stake audit committee chairman ask whomever advises him on audit issues.
clay@hewson.net

Post by clay@hewson.net »

Question - Who can sign checks? As a clerk, I have been told that either two of the bishopric or one clerk and one bishopric member. Or can two people on the signature card sign without regard to their title? I fully understand that the Bishop has to approve all expenditures. Just trying to figure out who can sign the checks and where that is referenced. Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

clay@hewson.net wrote:Question - Who can sign checks? As a clerk, I have been told that either two of the bishopric or one clerk and one bishopric member. Or can two people on the signature card sign without regard to their title? I fully understand that the Bishop has to approve all expenditures. Just trying to figure out who can sign the checks and where that is referenced. Thanks.
See the RKATS article Record Expenses and Reimbursements (which quotes quite a bit from HB1 14.6.7). As long as the expense has been approved by the bishop or stake president, it can be signed by any two authorized signers (with, of course, certain exceptions for checks made out to a signer, or for fast-offering payments to family members of a signer).

It's quite common for a bishop or stake president to create a further restriction that one of the signers should be a member of the bishopric or stake presidency. That's certainly his prerogative, but as far as I can tell, the official policy is simply that two authorized signers must sign.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

clay@hewson.net wrote:Question - Who can sign checks? As a clerk, I have been told that either two of the bishopric or one clerk and one bishopric member.
That was the instruction in an MLS message sometime in the second half of 2012. I do not have access to MLS and therefore cannot verify the date or the existence of the message. All other instructions, such as in Handbook 1 as aebrown mentioned, permit any two signatories on the signature card to be able to sign.

You could ask for a resend of any MLS messages referrencing check signatures from the Finance Department through the MLS messaging system if the message is still valid.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jjone389

Bishops approving expenses

Post by jjone389 »

I've read several times that the Bishop must approve all expenses. Can he approve his own expenses so long as he does not sign the check to himself? I understand that he cannot sign a check for himself, but can he approve his own expense? If not, who can?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Bishops approving expenses

Post by aebrown »

jjone389 wrote:I've read several times that the Bishop must approve all expenses. Can he approve his own expenses so long as he does not sign the check to himself? I understand that he cannot sign a check for himself, but can he approve his own expense? If not, who can?
If it's just a regular reimbursement, then yes, the bishop can (and should) approve his own expense.

The major exception is fast offering assistance for the bishop or his family, which must be approved by the stake president. Handbook 1, sections 5.1.2 and 5.2.4 give guidance in this area.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”