Licensing Boy Scout Trailer - Title and Ownership Question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:24 am

Licensing Boy Scout Trailer - Title and Ownership Question

Postby moroni12 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:35 am

I know others have had this issue - my LDS sponsored troop has purchased a utility trailer to carry and store scouting equipment. The trailer was purchased used for a great price using funds from the 'Other' account. (These funds were raised just for this purpose, so be still your auditing hearts!)

Now, when it comes to registering the trailer, who is to be named as the owner on the title? Utah DMV says it can be the name of the troop on the title, or the sponsoring unit, but the person signing the title has to show legal proof that they can sign for the troop or ward. As a scout committee, we have thought that we could put the trailer in the name of the scoutmaster, or the bishop, but both these will eventually be released.

We are leaning toward having the trailer registered to the ward, and having the current bishop sign the title (he has ample proof to show he can sign for for the unit) - then when annual renewals come in the mail he can give it to the clerk for payment. When he is released he can just pass the renewal on to the next bishop. But even this option isn't fail-safe.

Anyone out there had this experience?

Also, is there anything wrong about a unit owning assets of this dollar value? As is typical, we bought the trailer first, then we started asking questions...

User avatar
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Barstow, CA

Postby hpaulsen » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:02 am

In CA, trailers don't need to be renewed. Looking through, trailers under 750 lbs (empty) do not need to be registered at all in UT! It may be worth a call to the DMV. This may simplify some of your concerns.

We were told recently that no vehicles of any kind (including boats) were to be owned by church-sponsored troops. I don't know if this would apply to trailers....

Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:10 am

Postby uofufan-p40 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:46 pm

Sorry if this is late - it may not be a question anymore. But we have dealt with the same issue and we were directed to register the trailer in the name of the ward. The Bishop can then show each year that he is authorized to sign for the registration (if needed) because he would have a Bishop's Certificate stating his position over the ward. Hope it helps :)

Community Moderators
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby jbh001 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:50 am

In most units, the bishop/branch president is listed as the chartered organization representative (COR). There are exceptions to this in some places in Utah where the stake hosts the troop instead of the ward. But in most instances the current bishop would be able to show that he is able to sign on behalf of the troop by virtue of his position as the COR. All troops must recharter every year, so that reduces the chances of things falling through the cracks. If you can get the taxes/registration for the trailer due sometime in February, this should closely correspond to be shortly on or after the deadline for annual scout rechartering.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests