Excess tithing contribution - what to do

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Gary_Miller

Re: Excess tithing contribution - what to do

Post by Gary_Miller »

Sometimes the simplest way to correct a mistake is the best way. The suggestion of correcting the donation slip by putting $80 under tithing and $720 in the other account and then writing a check from the other account would be the best way to correct this mistake. I see no need to talk to anyone other than letting the bishop and the member know what was done to correct the problem. The member who made the donation will also get a letter from CHQ letting them know that a correction was made and why it was made.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:Sometimes the simplest way to correct a mistake is the best way. The suggestion of correcting the donation slip by putting $80 under tithing and $720 in the other account and then writing a check from the other account would be the best way to correct this mistake. I see no need to talk to anyone other than letting the bishop and the member know what was done to correct the problem. The member who made the donation will also get a letter from CHQ letting them know that a correction was made and why it was made.
Is this a procedure that was suggested to you by CHQ? And how are you aware of the letter from CHQ to the member?

What you suggest makes good sense. The problem is taken care of locally and the member receives a letter from CHQ so that what has happened cannot occur without the member's knowledge. I think this is a wonderful idea, if it is an approved idea.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:Is this a procedure that was suggested to you by CHQ?
No CHQ did not suggest this procedure to me. I have not had this problem so have had no need to seek advice from CHQ, even if I had I would not have gone to CHQ with such a small problem. We would work it out at the local level with the Bishop.
lajackson wrote:And how are you aware of the letter from CHQ to the member?
I did not know about this letter until last Sunday. I had made a small category correction to a donation in close batch(YW camp payment was place in the wrong other category) it so happened that the donation was the Bishops donation. The Bishop received a letter letting him know about the category change so he brought it in with the rest of the mail addressed to him. He gave it to me because he did not know what it was for. The letter had the original categories and the new categories which it was changed to. The letter also had the description that I place in MLS on why it was changed. It also said the member could call HQ for further details.
lajackson wrote:What you suggest makes good sense. The problem is taken care of locally and the member receives a letter from CHQ so that what has happened cannot occur without the member's knowledge. I think this is a wonderful idea, if it is an approved idea.
Approved by who the Bishop, Stake President, Area Authority, or LUS? I see no need for any approval any higher than the Bishop. Even then its more likely the Bishop was the one approached by the member with the problem and then the Bishop if he good at delegating and trusts his Clerks to do the right thing should just let the Clerks handle it. This is not something worth wasting anyone else's time on but the local Clerks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:Approved by who the Bishop, Stake President, Area Authority, or LUS? I see no need for any approval any higher than the Bishop. . . . This is not something worth wasting anyone else's time on but the local Clerks.
While I admire solving problems at the lowest level possible, I disagree that the bishop has authority to approve this action. Handbook 1:14.4.9 is very clear that there could be legal and tax complications for both the contributor and the Church.

I believe the Church needs to be involved in the decision on how to handle a situation such as this one.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:While I admire solving problems at the lowest level possible, I disagree that the bishop has authority to approve this action. Handbook 1:14.4.9 is very clear that there could be legal and tax complications for both the contributor and the Church.

I believe the Church needs to be involved in the decision on how to handle a situation such as this one.
I don't think this situation qualifies as a refund as refrenced in the handbook. This situation is just correcting a mistake where a member when figuring out thier tithing amount mistakenly wrote the check and slip out for the total income ($800) instead of 10% ($80.00) an easy thing to do when you have two figures in your head and are in a hurry. Using the method suggested would only be correcting the mistake and returning (Not Refunding) the over payed amount.
Last edited by russellhltn on Tue May 07, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix broken quote tag
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

To auditors, "return" and "refund" look the same.

+1 for lajackson: I agree, it should at least be run past the finance department.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness that permission. ;)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

waynecooke wrote:Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness that permission. ;)
Depends on who you get hauled in front of. That's not good advice when it comes to tax law.

It's also a bad idea if it would involved a penalty to the church that would take a lifetime of tithing to pay back.

The safe thing is to call CHQ and ask.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

TinMan wrote:To auditors, "return" and "refund" look the same.
I have yet to see an auditor dig that deep in that they ask why something happened. While I suppose it could happen the audit form is looking to see that the receipts match the check and the expense is approved by the Bishop. In this case it would just show a return of funds due to over payment
TinMan wrote:+1 for lajackson: I agree, it should at least be run past the finance department.
So Bishop, what do you tell the member when they state that they made a mistake in writing the check and now they have no funds to pay their bills?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:Depends on who you get hauled in front of. That's not good advice when it comes to tax law.

It's also a bad idea if it would involved a penalty to the church that would take a lifetime of tithing to pay back.
Changing the category on the donation to but money in the other account would have no effect on tax laws (at least in the US). Money place in the other account is not tax deducatable and there are already procedures in place for returning the funds when one over pays or does not attend an event.
russellhltn wrote:The safe thing is to call CHQ and ask.
No one is arguing that it would or would not be a safe thing to do just that its not necessary.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”