Split a check amongst Budget Categories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brettgrant99

Split a check amongst Budget Categories

Post by brettgrant99 »

Recently, the youth went on an activity, with a ticket fee per person. The YM president paid for the activity, but he wants the reimbursement to be split between the YM & YW based on attendance. For example, 6 boys and 2 girls showed up, so 75% YM, 25% YW. Then the next week, there was a temple trip where they want to split the costs between the YM & YW.

MLS wouldn't let us split it between budget categories. The bishop and his councilors didn't know how to do it. After consultation, the bishop had be fund it all out of one org's budget, and adjust the budgets accordingly. So, the YM paid 100% of the cost, and the YW's 25% cost was reduced from their budget and put in the YM's budget. It works, but seems really clunky to me.

Any insight?
Brett
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Split a check amongst Budget Categories

Post by aebrown »

You certainly can split one expense among multiple budget categories. Just select the individual categories and amounts on the right side of the Enter Expense screen.
brettgrant99

Post by brettgrant99 »

I wasn't able to do it. I'm at home, so I am going by memory.

When I go to enter the expense, I click the Magnifying Glass and all of the categories come up. I can only select one category. I have tried every combination of cntrl, alt, shift that I can think of plus a click, but I could never select another category.

I thought that the Mag Glass Button would appear by the next line, but it did not. All I could do was switch the single category.

I don't really understand what you mean by selecting the individual categories, as that doesn't seem to be an option. Are there different ways of setting up MLS? Perhaps a version difference?

I can check it out on Wednesday.

Thanks for your reply,
Brett
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Well, I was going by memory, too. Now that I have access to my test installation of MLS, I'm able to attach a screen shot that makes it clearer:
expense.png
(22.66 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
On the MLS "Enter Expenses" screen, you specify the first subcategory, and enter its amount. Then when you press Tab, a new line appears. You can specify the next category and its amount. Repeat as often as necessary for however many subcategories you have.

This screen shot is probably not exactly the same as with MLS 3.5.3 using CUBS, but it shows the idea.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

brettgrant99 wrote:When I go to enter the expense, I click the Magnifying Glass and all of the categories come up. I can only select one category. I have tried every combination of cntrl, alt, shift that I can think of plus a click, but I could never select another category.
Once the first category is selected and the amount entered, hit Tab to create another category entry line. As you enter categories and amounts for each category the "Category Total" below the "Category" group box will show the total for the expense.

Edit: I see aebrown has a good snapshot of multiple categories for a single expense.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
brettgrant99

Post by brettgrant99 »

That is very close to the screen, but we couldn't enter anything in the second line.

I remember trying to type stuff in, but I will double check.
The computer is always popping up notifications, its possible MLS was out of focus.

Thanks for your response.
Brett
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Note MLS will not allow you to select multiple categories and then enter the amount for each. It only allows entry of one category and the amount for that category at a time before it will allow proceeding to enter the next category by hitting Tab. Each category and amount must be entered before proceeding to the next category and amount.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
brettgrant99

Post by brettgrant99 »

I didn't try the tab key. I'll give that a shot.

You guys have infused me with high hopes :)

Thanks,
Brett
brettgrant99

Post by brettgrant99 »

Yes, the tab key worked.

Thanks for the help.
Brett

Return to “Local Unit Finance”