Church HQ missionary fund reimbursment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wesray

Church HQ missionary fund reimbursment

Post by wesray »

I'm a new clerk in a YSA student ward. My question is how do we get reimbursed for missionary funds taken out of our ward missionary account for a missionairy who's home ward is in Germany. The missionary left our ward the end of January 2013 but our missionary funds have been reduced $400/month since early January for this missionary thereby making our account negative now for 3-4 months in a row. My understanding is that once a missionary's records are returned to their home ward the funds would be withdrawn from the home ward account. I also heard that foreign missionaries are funded through Church HQ??? Another issue possibly contributing to this particular problem is this missionary's family are non-members in Germany but have agreed to fund the missionary with donations given to the local home ward in Germany.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Church HQ missionary fund reimbursment

Post by russellhltn »

wesray wrote:My understanding is that once a missionary's records are returned to their home ward the funds would be withdrawn from the home ward account.
That is not correct. Please see Transferring missionary funding to another ward.

As a clerk of a YSA ward, you'll want to make sure that the funding of missionaries are worked out as part of the missionary paperwork.

wesray wrote:Another issue possibly contributing to this particular problem is this missionary's family are non-members in Germany but have agreed to fund the missionary with donations given to the local home ward in Germany.
That could complicate things. To transfer the missionary funding, the receiving bishop must agree. But give it a try and see if it works. Otherwise, you may have to talk to your stake about getting help.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”